GMAT cut-off for IIM, ISB and other Indian Business Schools

GMAT cut-off for IIM, ISB and other Indian Business SchoolsThis is a tough one. Most business schools, whether in India or around the world, don’t specify the minimum GMAT score. Eligibility for admission is derived from a cumulative consideration of all, or some, of the parameters – your scores, past academic record, work experience, essays, recommendations and finally the interview that seals the deal. Admissions Committees corroborate this thought, repeatedly, by not confessing to any cut off score, even under duress of badgering questions from MBA hopefuls.

The reason is simple. There is immense competition between B-Schools to obtain the best candidates to fill their batch. The idea, besides the monetary gains to keep the business of business schools going, is that the peer learning environment maintain a certain standard of excellence – a wholesome, diverse, and rich body of learning.

Just because you happen to score a 580 on your GMAT, they may not want to ignore your 4 years of world class managerial experience, successfully handling difficult projects. By not mentioning a minimum, they leave the gates open for excellent candidates, cursed with the unfortunate low scores, to apply and subject their candidature for the adcom’s consideration.

Rather than talk about a minimum cut-off, that may or may not be revealed by a B-School, it is easier to talk about the average GMAT score. And this number is usually available from the batch profiles of previously admitted students.

Read

India is now a booming economy. And so are the Indian league of business schools. In fact, Financial Times’ 2016 Global MBA rankings has featured IIM Ahmedabad at the 24th position, ISB Hyderabad at the 29th position and IIM Bangalore at the 62nd position. Their popularity, as already well known in the Indian community, is even bringing in international candidates.

Traditionally, most 2 year MBA programs, in India, have relied on the Common Admission Test (CAT) for admissions, with the IIMs scooping in to admit the top percentile of performers. Currently, a lot more 1 year full time, and part-time programs are open to candidates who have a GMAT score, along with some work experience. In fact, a whole lot of Indian b-schools have their admissions open for foreign nationals with a GMAT score as well.

In this article, we have assimilated a number of well known Indian business schools, the names of the respective programs that accept GMAT, and the respective average/cut-off GMAT score gathered from current student profiles, or other sources. Read GMAT Preparation.

B-School Program Name Program Type Average GMAT

Xavier School of Management

(XLRI Jamshedpur)

PGDM-Post Graduate Diploma in Management 15 Months Full Time

for Professionals

682

Batch of 2015-16

(Also accepts XAT scores)

Indian Institute of Management Indore

(IIM Indore)

EPGP-Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management 1 Year Full Time

for

Professionals

GMAT cut-off in 2016: 570

EPGP FAQs

(Also accepts CAT > 85th Percentile)

SP Jain Institute of Management and Research

(SPJIMR)

PGDM-Post Graduate Diploma in Management 2 Year Full Time MBA GMAT cut-off >85th Percentile

(Also CAT/XAT)

SPJIMR PGDM

PGPM-Post Graduate Programme in Management 15 Months Full Time for Mid-career Professionals GMAT/XAT or CAT

Cut Off not specified

GMP- Global Management Programme

(formerly PGCIM)

MBA with International Focus (requires work experience)

Masters for fresh graduates.

GMAT cut-off >80th Percentile

(Also accepts CAT/XAT/GRE)

SPJIMR GMP

Institute of Management Technology

(IMT Ghaziabad)

PGDM-Post Graduate Diploma in Management 2 Years Full Time GMAT ~690

(Also accepts CAT/XAT)

PGDMEx-Post Graduate Diploma in Management for Executives 15 Months
Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai PGPM-Post Graduate Program in Management 1 Year Full Time GMAT 600+

Exceptional candidates with lower scores are considered.

(Also accepts CAT/XAT and CMAT)

Faculty of Management Studies

(FMS)

MBA 2 Year Full Time Foreign Nationals outside India require GMAT> 650

Indian Nationals require CAT

Foreign Nationals studying in India require CAT

(Delhi University Information Centre)

Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode

(IIMK)

PGP- Post Graduate Programme 2 Year Full Time Foreign Nationals/Indians applying from outside India, require GMAT >700

Indian candidates applying within the country, require CAT

EPGP-Executive Post Graduate Programme 2 Year Non-Residential Evening/Weekend Classes in Kochi GMAT >650

(Also accepts CAT >75th Percentile)

EPGP-Executive Post Graduate Programme 2 Year Non-Residential through Virtual Interactive Classroom

Since the rule book is based on the criteria set by the admissions committees for each year, it would serve your best interests to research the latest score requirements, taking a queue from the information provided in the table above. Work experience holds a lot of weight for most of the post graduate programs.

Given the generous number of selection fields, it is considered a good practice to evaluate your candidature, independent of your GMAT score, before nipping an application in its bud. Of course, if you find yourself unconvinced still, you can always retake it. Although you will still need to weigh your gains. Aim to take yourself to a higher percentile rather than crawl your score up by a few points while staying in the same selection belt.

Meanwhile, try the following links to educate yourself with the ways of the MBA world.

Sources:1,2,3

Free Trial: ApplicantLab | GMAT Prep | MBA Abroad Videos

Serious about higher education? Join us on social media for regular updates.

Got queries unrelated to this article? Post them on our General Queries Page.

1. Sasi says:

I have done my regular mba from average school.
    I have 5 years experiance in kpo operations investment banking as financial analyst.
    6 months prior exp in retail sector.
    My age is 33.
    10th -66%
    12th- 64%
    Bcom – 51%
    Mba regular – 61%
    I am aiming to take gmat.
    Please could you advise best executive mba suited for me
    Mr sasi

2. heena says:

hi Sameer,

A really eye opener blog for MBA aspirants.
    Well, I am quality analyst with CMMI 5 level MNC in India, have worked internationally for a few months and having around 5 years of experience.

I am Delhi university graduate(B.sc) with M.tech in Software Engineering from BITS Pilani via Corporate tie up programs while i was working.

I am planning to take up a one year MBA, after going through the blog here, my confidence level is decreased as I see ppl from top layer colleges are marked as good profile for top b schools, Do i stand anywhere in this crowd, if my educational attributes are considered? Could you please suggest?

Thanks!
    heena

3. MAHEEP LUNAWAT says:

Hello
    I am Maheep.I am about to complete my BBA in JUNE 2017 and i am giving gmat on 15 august i am having a work experience of 2+year in manufacturing industry, as i did my bba through a correspondence course through amity university. this is my situation
    I am thinking of applying for MBA for 2018 for which the rounds will start in probably sept or oct 2017
    what are the chances i have to get an admission and what are the university i should apply

4. Thayu says:

Hi sameer,
    I have just now completed my B.E degree in computer science. What kind of work experience do I need for gooď MBA programme and What type of work would be essential to get into a programme.

5. Nidhi says:

I have done BE in the field of Production Engg with 1 year of internship in 2 big shot companies. Its been a year that i am working in an MNC in the field of Project Management.

Queries i have:
    1. Do the internships count if i want to pursue an MBA
    2. I am thinking of working for 2 more years and then pursuing my MBA, will that help? or 1 more year is fine?
    3. An above average student in academics will help me during the applications or do i have to do something more to portray my capabilities?

6. Nidhi( Name changed) says:

Glad to meet you through website)

I have 2 years of work experience in an MNC. Now looking at various career options of being a techie/ Pursuing MBA

Some of my friends are scaring me that why to invest much money on GMAT which is placement uncertain compared to IIMs ( Including new IIMs)

Is that poor research of them? or Can I happily move with my choice of opting GMAT over other exams

Also please let me know more about placements/ further job prospects in international MBA?

Also kindly let me know how can one be in safe ( in terms of job/career) in spite of de-globalisation effect?

Also If possible please share your contact number

7. Vinayak says:

Hi sameer.

I am banking professional with 11+ experience. Bcom graduate (2002) + MMS finance(2005). Need boost to my career. Hence planning PGPx from IIM A, B OR C. What would be probable Gmat score for to be shortlisted. Can i make it on self study basis based on study material say from T. I. M. E

@Sasi: Read these pros and cons of a second MBA:

@Heena: Don’t get discouraged with what other profiles look like. Focus on your accomplishments. A lot has to do with how you position and package your story.

@Maheep: Not all programs accept correspondence degrees. Here are a few that do:

@Thayu: We’ve written about the type of work experience needed for business school in this article:

@Nidhi: Internships are generally not considered as experience, unless the impact has been substantial. You could work for 2 years more to get closer to the average for the top bschools. Try to get a high GMAT score.

@Nidhi (name changed!): There surely is a much bigger risk when you go abroad for studies. If that scares you, then it’s best that you stay back in India. The only ‘safe’ option is to hold on to the job you have.

@Vinayak: You’ll get your answer if you scroll up and read the article. You don’t need to join a class if you manage to create a structured study plan.

9. Anirudh says:

I have done my B.Tech in 2010 From ISM, Dhanbad (now IIT(ISM) Dhanbad) . In one of very rare course Mineral Engineering (In fact in India only ISM gave B.tech in Mineral Engineering) . My GPA is low 6.9 out of 10 .
    I have Work experience in Indian Company only in technical field and not any management field with no outside India experience
    I want to know what is minimum safe GMAT score, to get admission in IIM(A) or ISB or any other best college in abroad.

10. Sumit says:

I am a marine engineer by profession and working as a 4th engineer with a Danish conglomerate (2.5 years of work ex).

I want to know the intricacies of GMAT score acceptance by IIM’s for NRI students.

11. Abhishi says:

Hello,
    Abhishi here,
    I am currently working for mnc in india,pune.my company takes executive program for mba from iima and sp jain.but the eligibility is 3-5 yrs after joining.i have completed my 1 yr 7 months . should I persue it from company or go for gmat exam.? Pls do guide.

12. sunil kumar says:

I have a total work experience of 6 years in retail banking and was designated as a team leader for the retail banking products.
    i have quit my job recently and i’m into CAT 2018 preparation for better career prospective.
    Please suggest what is best suited for me, MBA through CAT or GMAT .
    Also please suggest, is it fine to quit a job for few months or is it a disadvantage for CAT/GMAT.