The GMAT score forms an essential and significant component for the high ranked full-time MBA programs. In the entire MBA application, in comparison to the other elements like the MBA essays, recommendations, interview preparation, candidates spend 75% of their effort and time to crack the GMAT and get a high score which would improve their chances of being accepted by the top business schools.
However there are certain programs in USA, UK / Europe and other locations which do not require you to submit your GMAT score. There are programs which also accept the GRE score instead of the GMAT as discussed in the earlier post (here’s the link: GMAT versus GRE).
However in this post, we’ll cover only the ones which do not require you to submit any GMAT or GRE score at all.
[Editor’s Note: Article updated in August 2021 to reflect the latest data]
MBA programs without the GMAT requirement
Business Schools offering courses that don’t need a GMAT or GRE can be categorised into three groups:
1. Some top executive MBA programs
2. Some lesser known full-time MBA programs
3. Online MBA programs
Executive MBA programs don’t generally have a GMAT requirement
These programs are designed to suit the needs of experienced professionals who wish to procure an MBA without taking a break from their current jobs. The minimum experience required is much higher in comparison to a full-time MBA program.
These programs offer flexibility in terms of being able to continue with your professional commitments, so your income stream continues. As candidates come in with considerable managerial experience, the admissions committee are able to waive the need to submit a GMAT score for qualifying candidates.
Only in certain cases where the admissions committee may have concerns about a certain candidate, they may be required to submit a score. Some reputed high-ranked programs that offer an executive MBA are:
1. Northwestern University Kellogg Executive MBA
This program requires you to have at least eight years of work experience with an average of 12-15 years. It spans over two years and covers all aspects of general management. The GMAT score is usually not needed; the admissions committee would review the application and decide if it’s required.
2. Duke Fuqua Global Executive MBA
This is a 21 month duration program and comprises of five terms, two of which include a two-week residency on the main campus at Durham, NC, USA.
The remaining terms can be taken from a list of regions across the world, gathering students for 1 week residencies. Class consists of an average of 9 years of work experience. The GMAT score is required but waivers are available for applicants with a STEM undergraduate or economics discipline, or those with non-STEM background but with exceptional academic performance, or for those with a Master’s or PhD in a STEM field.
3. NYU Stern executive MBA
This is a 22 month long program that earns you the same MBA degree as a full-time MBA program. It covers general management topics with a good choice of electives.
The GMAT score is not required but may be recommended. However, those who have not demonstrated sufficient academic or quantitative ability elsewhere should consider it. Sponsorship from office is needed for the time taken away from work.
4. Smith Executive MBA
The University of Maryland- Robert H. Smith School of Business has its executive MBA program lasting for 17 months. The average work experience is 9 years.
Classes are held every other Friday or Tuesday. The program begins and ends with a one week residency. GMAT is not required.
5. MIT Executive MBA
The MIT Sloan School of management’s EMBA program is a 20 month long general management program. Classes are held once in three weeks with 26 such sessions on Fridays and Saturdays.
Applicants need to have a minimum of ten years of work experience. GMAT is not required but is recommended if you feel your academic background is not enough.
6. Oxford Executive MBA
The Said Business School offers the EMBA program running in a week-long module throughout the entire duration of 22 months.
The GMAT score may be waived for candidates with considerable work experience, but those with lesser experience are required to submit the GMAT score.
7. Global EMBA for Asia Pacific – UCLA Anderson School of Management
This is a fifteen month long dual degree program developed by UCLA Anderson School of Management in collaboration with the National University of Singapore Business School (NUS).
The curriculum comprises six two-week sessions held across four different countries: NUS in Singapore, UCLA in Los Angeles, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China, Delhi and Bangalore, India. Candidates earn two MBA degrees, one from UCLA and the second from NUS.
8. University of Michigan Ross School of Business EMBA
Ross Executive MBA program is a 21 month long general management program with its focus on strategy and offered at two locations: Los Angeles as well as on campus at Ann Arbor. The GMAT score is usually not required.
The candidates whose experience and background does not show sufficient quantitative and analytical skills may be required to take an assessment.
9. Johnson Cornell University
The Cornell Executive MBA is a 22 month-long program and requires candidates with a minimum of 5-7 years of work experience, the average being 12 years.
There are four residence sessions on the university campus in addition to classes being held on every other Saturday and Sunday.
10. USC Marshall School of Business
This 22 month program requires around eight years of work experience. The GMAT/GMAT is an optional requirement for the EMBA program.
11. ISB Post Graduate Programme in Management for Senior Executives
The Indian School of Business offers the PGPMAX which is an executive MBA level program for those with 10-25 years work experience.
This is a classroom based program held at both Hyderabad and Mohali campus. The GMAT score is not a requirement for this program.
12. Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business
This program runs for 20 consecutive months and requires candidates to have eight years of working experience.
Full-time MBA programs that don’t require GMAT scores
The top-tier full-time MBA programs require you to submit a GMAT (or GRE in some cases) score. However, there are certain lesser known full-time MBA programs that accept applications without the GMAT score coming into the picture.
Following is the list of such business schools that waive the GMAT / GRE score requirement. Candidates need to do their research about the MBA programs and the job prospects after completion so that they can be sure that the program they apply to suits their career requirements.
1. The University of Central Lancashire offers a 24-month full-time MBA program. An IELTS or TOEFL score is required however taking the GMAT is not necessary.
2. In the Birmingham City Business School’s MBA program, a GMAT score is not an admissions requirement. TOEFL or IELTS is needed for international applicants.
3. The University of Canberra offers an MBA with candidates required to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field without work experience or in an unrelated field with three years experience.
4. Middlesex University Dubai requires applicants to have a minimum of three years experience and a relevant undergraduate degree to be able to apply.
5. Suffolk University Boston – Sawyer Business School No GMAT is required for full time, part time and its online MBA programs.
6. At the Lancaster University Management School in UK one year full-time MBA program, the GMAT score is not a compulsory requirement. Candidates are required to either submit a Lancaster Admission Essay or a GMAT score with a minimum of 580 and 4 in Analytical Writing.
7. At Pace University – Lubin School of Business, if you are an MBA applicant who already holds a business-related master’s or doctoral degree, you may request a waiver of the GMAT or GRE.
8. Durham University Business School UK offers a 12 month MBA program with no GMAT requirement. Only those lacking formal qualifications but with managerial experience may be asked to submit a GMAT score with a minimum of 600. A minimum of three years of management experience and IELTS score is needed to apply.
9. The NC State University Jenkins MBA No GMAT is required for full time, part time and its online MBA programs.
10. At the Macquarie Graduate School of Management (MGSM), the MBA program requires no GMAT score. It can be completed in a year’s time or if you choose, it could be taken part-time over a period of two years.
Here is a list of Top MBA in USA, Canada, Europe that consider a GMAT/GRE waiver
Online MBA programs often don’t ask for GMAT scores
There are several online MBA programs which don’t require the GMAT score.
1. Norwich University online MBA program can be completed in around 18 months time. An undergrad. Degree with a TOEFL/IELTS score is required to apply.
2. The University of Maryland – Robert H. Smith School of Business offers a flexible 21 month online MBA program. A minimum of 2 years work experience is needed. GMAT waiver is offered to those with a good career record and excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
3. Ohio University Online MBA program requires a bachelor’s degree with 2 to 5 years of work experience, 3 letters of recommendation and no GMAT.
4. The University of Liverpool Online MBA requires a bachelor’s degree with a three year relevant work experience and TOEFL/IELTS score.
5. Florida International University’s Online CMBA requires candidates to have around four years of professional experience.
Are you aware of good full-time or Executive MBA programs that do not need MBA scores? Or any errors in the list above? Please let us know.
Read these related posts:
– Second MBA from UK without GMAT for Indian mom
– Masters degree without GRE or GMAT | MS in USA
– Top MBA programs without experience
– Best Business Schools in Europe
– UCLA PGP Pro India (no GMAT required)