A career change could come in various shapes and forms. It could be an industry change: from IT to Strategy Consulting, from retail to investment banking, from manufacturing to real estate. Or it could be a role change: technical to functional transition. Or it could be a complete transition of industry AND role. In typical MBA style let’s lay out a 3 X 3 career transition model (we are tired of 2 X 2 matrices). So 3 questions to ask in 3 phases.
Choose the right post-MBA career
– What is it about the new field that excites you?
– What skills and capabilities do you consider as your strengths?
– How much do you know about the new role/industry and how can you fit in?
Choose the right MBA program
– What are the gaps that you are hoping to fill during your MBA program?
– Are there specific opportunities, courses or contacts that you can build or develop during your course?
– Have other alumni already done what you are trying to do or are you the lone ranger who’s all set to make history?
Choose the right tools and techniques to facilitate the transition
– What can you do before your MBA program starts to lay down the foundation?
– What can you do while the MBA course is still on?
– What can you do after the MBA course is over when you can focus completely on the job search?
Of course, a one-size-fits-all approach would never work here. So each of these questions is just the starting point. You can use these questions drill down further in each area and come up with a framework that fits your profile in the best possible manner. Both MG and I have managed a complete post-MBA career transition. So as always, if you get stuck along the way, give us a holler and we’d be glad to put you back on track.
Here’s a list of career options.
Also, read these related posts:
– Career change options after MBA for software engineers
– Does a career change at 30 or 35 in India make sense?
– Career change: Why I left the corporate world
– Career Change from Software IT to Product Management after MBA
– Fear and shame of career change.