James Cook University (JCU) University Online MBA Review
Ranking, Courses, Electives, Duration, Reviews
Established in 1970, James Cook University (JCU) is Queensland’s second oldest university and has multiple campuses located in Cairns, Townsville and Brisbane, as well an international campus in Singapore.
It is ranked in the top 2 percent of the world’s tertiary institutions by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, and takes pride in its tropical location and expertise in marine sciences, biodiversity, tropical ecology and environments and tropical medicine.
JCU is dedicated to creating an environment where teaching, learning and research are of the highest quality.
List of Online and Distance Learning Courses
- Online Master of Data Science
- Online Master of Nursing
- Online Master of Business Administration Global
Online MBA Global
The JCU MBA global comprises of 12 subjects. Each of these subjects would be delivered in weekly modules over a seven week duration In addition to this, there’d also be an orientation week.
Students can choose to enrol for the subjects as and when it suits their schedule, while continuing with their professional commitments. Thus, they can strike the right balance between work, study and family.
The flexible schedule allows multiple intakes and students can concentrate on one subject at a time. Each student group would have a dedicated tutor who’d run collaborative sessions and be available to answer queries through email, phone or online discussion boards as well as provide academic assistance and feedback.
Students would also be assigned a one-on-one Student Success Advisor who’d be available to guide, assist and motivate them throughout their entire study duration.
The class size is kept small with 25 students per batch so that tutors are able to support students and provide them with personalised feedback.
The course also includes a week-long Integrated Global Capstone Project at JCU’s Singapore campus, Orpheus Island or the Daintree Rainforest near Cairns, Australia. This Global Capstone Project is also available online if you cannot travel.
The online MBA course fee is AU$3,188 per subject. The total fee for all the subjects would come to AU$38,256.
There are six intakes, beginning with the October intake, after which there are intakes in January, March, May, July and September.
Students would need to have Bachelor’s degree in a related field with two years business experience or postgraduate degree in any discipline with two years business experience or four years business experience in a managerial role.
Those with non-English speaking background would be required to take the English language proficiency test.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Students’ previous education and work experience is taken into account to see if they qualify for any credits under RPL. This could reduce the number of subjects they need to complete to obtain a Masters qualification.
- Top 2% of Global Universities (Academic Ranking of World Universities);
- Top 50 Universities under 50 years old (#38, Times Higher Education)
Course Structure & Curriculum
- The course covers a range of topics, focused within three key areas: Global Perspective and Strategy, Data Analysis and Decision Making, & Organisational Leadership and Management.
- The course uses live video sessions, webinars, discussion forums, and interactive weekly course content.
- JCU has built an overarching case study that is included within each subject to provide opportunities for ongoing reflection and practical assessments that relate back to the fictional organization (Cunningham Holdings) featured within the case study.
- The various subjects covered in the course give students a complete picture of global trends and help them identify the various opportunities and ways to manage various business challenges. They also gain the knowledge and skills required to solve complex problems through advance data analysis in addition to picking up leadership and management skills and the ability to make strategic decisions.
Students can earn a Masters degree on completion of 12 subjects within a minimum two year period. Students can complete upto six subjects in a year.
There are exit options for those who’re unable to complete all the 12 subjects.
Students can complete four (required) subjects and earn a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration or eight subjects to earn the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration.
The maximum time duration for students to complete the course would be 5 years.
Academics involved in the course come from a diverse set of backgrounds, including experience within a range of industries and international business experience.
Many teach at one of JCU’s three campuses in Cairns, Townsville or Singapore and are heavily involved in research.
We couldn’t find any reviews for the JCU online MBA program. We’ll update this section as we gain more insights.
In the meanwhile, here’s a video where Kate, a JCU online degree student, talks about her experiences.
Image credit: www.jcu.edu.au