MBA without GMAT requirement in USA, Europe, India

The GMAT score forms an essential and significant component for the high ranked full-time MBA programs. In the entire MBA application, in comparison to the other elements like the MBA essays, recommendations, interview preparation, candidates spend 75% of their effort and time to crack the GMAT and get a high score which would improve their chances of being accepted by the top business schools.

However there are certain programs in USA, UK / Europe and other locations which do not require you to submit your GMAT score. There are programs which also accept the GRE score instead of the GMAT as discussed in the earlier post (here’s the link: GMAT versus GRE).

However in this post, we’ll cover only the ones which do not require you to submit any GMAT or GRE score at all.

MBA programs without the GMAT requirement

by Swati

Business Schools offering courses that don’t need a GMAT or GRE can be categorised into three groups:

1. Some top executive MBA programs
2. Some lesser known full-time MBA programs
3. Online MBA programs

Executive MBA programs don’t generally have a GMAT requirement

These programs are designed to suit the needs of experienced professionals who wish to procure an MBA without taking a break from their current jobs. The minimum experience required is much higher in comparison to a full-time MBA program.

These programs offer flexibility in terms of being able to continue with your professional commitments, so your income stream continues. As candidates come in with considerable managerial experience, the admissions committee are able to waive the need to submit a GMAT score for qualifying candidates.

Only in certain cases where the admissions committee may have concerns about a certain candidate, they may be required to submit a score. Some reputed high-ranked programs that offer an executive MBA are:

1. Northwestern University Kellogg Executive MBA

This program requires you to have at least eight years of work experience with an average of 12-15 years. It spans over two years and covers all aspects of general management. The GMAT score is usually not needed; the admissions committee would review the application and decide if it’s required.

2. Duke Fuqua Global Executive MBA

This is a fifteen month duration program and comprises of five terms, two of which include a two-week residency on the main campus at Durham, NC, USA.

The remaining three terms can be taken from a list of regions across the world and this residency would be divided between two cities. A minimum of ten years of work experience is required, the average being fifteen years. The GMAT score is not required.

3. NYU Stern executive MBA

This is a 22 month long program that earns you the same MBA degree as a full-time MBA program. It covers general management topics with a good choice of electives.

The GMAT score is waived for qualifying candidates. However sponsorship from office is needed for the time taken away from work.

4. Smith Executive MBA

The University of Maryland- Robert H. Smith School of Business has its executive MBA program lasting for 19 months. The average work experience is 15 year.

Classes are held every other Friday or Saturday. Candidates are required to devote 21.5 hours in a week.

5. MIT Executive MBA

The MIT Sloan School of management’s EMBA program is a 20 month long general management program. Classes are held once in three weeks with 26 such sessions on Fridays and Saturdays.

Applicants need to have a minimum of ten years of work experience.

6. Oxford Executive MBA

The Said Business School offers the EMBA program running in a week-long module throughout the entire duration of 21 months.

The GMAT score may be waived for candidates with more than ten years of management experience at the discretion of the admissions committee, but those with lesser experience are required to submit the GMAT score.

7. Global EMBA for Asia Pacific

This is a fifteen month long dual degree program developed by UCLA Anderson School of Management in collaboration with the National University of Singapore Business School (NUS).

The curriculum comprises six two-week sessions held across four different countries: NUS in Singapore, UCLA in Los Angeles, as well as in Shanghai, China, and Bangalore, India. Candidates earn two MBA degrees, one from UCLA and the second from NUS.

8. University of Michigan Ross School of Business EMBA

Ross Executive MBA program is a 21 month long general management program with its focus on strategy and offered at two locations: Los Angeles as well as on campus at Ann Arbor. The GMAT score is usually not required.

The candidates whose experience and background does not show sufficient quantitative and analytical skills may be required to take an assessment.

9. Johnson Cornell University

The Cornell Executive MBA is a 22 month-long program and requires candidates with a minimum of 5-7 years of work experience, the average being 12 years.

There are four residence sessions on the university campus in addition to classes being held on every other Saturday and Sunday.

10. USC Marshall School of Business

This 21 month program requires around eight years of work experience. The GMAT/GMAT is an optional requirement for the EMBA program.

11. ISB Post Graduate Programme in Management for Senior Executives

The Indian School of Business offers the PGPMAX which is an executive MBA level program for those with 10-25 years work experience.

This is a classroom based program held at both Hyderabad and Mohali campus. The GMAT score is not a requirement for this program.

12. Babson’s blended learning MBA

This 21 month program combines online classes along with classroom sessions held at Babson’s San Francisco CA or Wellesley MA campuses.

This allows professionals to continue with their commitments while completing the program.

13. Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business

This program runs for 20 consecutive months and requires candidates to have eight years of working experience.

Full-time MBA programs that don’t require GMAT scores

The top-tier full-time MBA programs require you to submit a GMAT (or GRE in some cases) score. However, there are certain lesser known full-time MBA programs that accept applications without the GMAT score coming into the picture.

Following is the list of such business schools that waive the GMAT / GRE score requirement. Candidates need to do their research about the MBA programs and the job prospects after completion so that they can be sure that the program they apply to suits their career requirements.

1. The University of Central Lancashire offers a 12-month full-time MBA program. An IELTS or TOEFL score is required however taking the GMAT is not necessary.

2. In the Birmingham City Business School’s MBA program, a GMAT score of at least 500 is preferable, but is not an admissions requirement. TOEFL or IELTS is needed for international applicants.

3. The University of Canberra offers an MBA with candidates required to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field without work experience or in an unrelated field with three years experience.

4. Middlesex University Dubai requires applicants to have a minimum of three years experience and a relevant undergraduate degree to be able to apply.

5. Suffolk University Boston – Sawyer Business School requires candidates to have at least a 3.4 (on a scale of 4.0) cumulative undergraduate GPA and 4 or more years of full-time work experience to be able to avail a GMAT waiver.

6. At the Lancaster University Management School in UK one year full-time MBA program, the GMAT score is not a compulsory requirement.

7. At Henley Business School – University of Reading, UK 12 month full-time MBA program, if the admission officers are satisfied with the candidate’s grades and work experience (three years minimum experience required), submitting the GMAT score would not be necessary.

8. At Pace University – Lubin School of Business, if you are an MBA applicant who already holds a business-related master’s or doctoral degree, you may request a waiver of the GMAT or GRE.

9. Durham University Business School UK offers a 12 and 15 month MBA program with no GMAT requirement. A minimum of three years of management experience and IELTS score is needed to apply.

10. The NC State University Jenkins MBA, candidates with the US degree equivalent of a Ph.D., Pharm.D., JD, or MD are automatically waived from the GMAT/GRE. Other competitive applicants are also considered if they request for a GMAT waiver.

Online MBA programs often don’t ask for GMAT scores

There are several online MBA programs which don’t require the GMAT score.

1. Norwich University online MBA program can be completed in around 18 months time. An undergrad. Degree with a TOEFL/IELTS score is required to apply.

2. The University of Maryland – Robert H. Smith School of Business offers a flexible 21 month online MBA program. A minimum of 2 years work experience is needed. GMAT waiver is offered to those with a good career record and excellent analytical and quantitative skills.

3. Ohio University Online MBA program requires a bachelor’s degree with 2 to 5 years of work experience, 3 letters of recommendation and no GMAT.

4. The University of Liverpool Online MBA requires a bachelor’s degree with a three year relevant work experience and TOEFL/IELTS score.

5. Florida International University’s Online CMBA requires candidates to have around four years of professional experience.

Are you aware of good full-time or Executive MBA programs that do not need MBA scores? Or any errors in the list above? Please let us know.

Read this related post on top MBA programs without experience.

Swati //
Swati
After working for over a decade in technical and managerial roles in the corporate world, Swati now works as a freelancer and writes on a variety of topics including education, career guidance and self-improvement.

1. Oracle says:

Opening line of the article:

“The GMAT score forms an essential and significant component for the high ranked full-time MBA programs”

says it all. My advise:

NEVER ever go for an MBA program that doesn’t ask you for your GMAT score. It’s mostly going to be a waste of time.

However, getting a high GMAT score and not going for an MBA can still prove highly beneficial for your personal and professional growth than going for a **NO GMAT Required** kind of school.

• sourabh says:

i think ur opinion is too rigid, as a perfectionist I was looking for the best mba college, and its fifteen years now, I never went for an mba, when I look around I see that a lot of people who opted for average colleges are doing wonderfully well in their careers, and this article is definitely meant for those who might abort their plans for higher education just because of a bad gmat score, like I got a gmat score of 510 in the year of 2002, and I got dishearetened but I never cheked the options of going for the non gmat colleges , I regret my decision now.

• Run says:

Did you look at the names on that list?! There are some heavyweights on it, including M.I.T. (Sloan), NYU (Stern), Northwestern (Kellogg), Chicago (Booth), UCLA (Anderson), and USC (Marshall) – in addition to Georgetown and Babson.

Most of those are top-10/top-15 MBA programs, and M.I.T, Northwestern and Chicago are top-5!

Glad you noticed that line, Oracle :-)

That’s precisely what we’ve been telling folks all these years. Program selectivity is among of the prime reasons employers focus or ignore certain bschools. The easier that a program makes it for applicants, the lower is its market value.

But the queries from new applicants never seem to cease. So after years of delaying it, we thought we might as well create the list and include the main point in the opening line.

For all those who still want to go down that route, we hope they do so after weighing the pros and cons.

• Jigar Shah says:

i have close to 9 years of work experience in healthcare sector. been working in sales and marketing dept from past 6 years. i want to pursue MBA in marketing or masters in international marketing. is it still necessary to appear for GMAT/ GRE for any this program? can you suggest some good universities who are reputed in b schools worldwide and accepts admission without GMAT/GRE. can you help me for this?

3. Robin Arora says:

Its great help reading your articles and you’re doing a wondeful job here.

Sameer i want to know the post study job search visa offered by France, Spain and Germany(Stayback post studies). And which country is more suitable for persuing a business management programme i.e Msc International Business or MBA GRADUATE.

I had applied into UK but due to no work experience and having my graduation done in the field of Journalism and Mass comm. I couldnt get a much reputed uni there and seeing their post study stay back option, i’m thinking of persuing it from Europe now. So which countries would be better there and for masters do the ranking matter to an extent that matters for an MBA. Thanks.

@Robin: Just like the GMAT, work experience is also an important factor that the good bschools consider.

It wouldn’t be wise to try and bypass that requirement. Work in India for a few years and gain some marketable skills that you can depend on irrespective of an international degree.

5. Gurjot says:

It would be helpful if you guide me through my admission in a good US university for full time MBA program without GRE/GMAT.
    I have 4.5 years of work experience and hold a B.Tech degree.
    So will it be good enough to go for MBA without GRE/GMAT, and how would be recruitment after program.?
    Please guide through this.

Gurjot Singh

6. Rahul says:

I have queries related GMAT and good MBA colleges, which at least provide job scope after completion. 1 month ago i have given my GMAT exam, and my GMAT result is terrible (320) after doing 6 month practice . In prep exams ( online and on prep software’s ) most of the time i got above 500, but in real exam i got 320, which is terrible.

I have 3 year of exp. 1 year of experience in Star TV India as an celebrity manager in star sports event department and 2 year exp in event and hospitality industry where i have handled fifa 2014 world cup and cricket 2015 world cup at the post of deputy manager. we were the official agent for both the event.

I would like to know is there any good mba college who would like to take my profile in their consideration for admission without GMAT.
    I don’t want any options from UK because they have pretty tough after studies work policies. I have completed my graduation in BMM (Advertising)

Please revert at the earliest.

@Rahul: We aren’t aware of any good MBA program that waives the GMAT requirement and still matches up to the standards of the other top ranking colleges that insist on it.

A GMAT score of 320 is way below the norm. There’s probably a mental block (as opposed to a capability challenge) that prevents you from going higher. If you could find a way to tackle it, the number of good options to choose from will go up.

8. SARWAT MAHMOOD KHAN says:

hiiiii
    I have completed my BBA now i want to MBA FROM USA Or France
    please guide me what i have to do for further details.

9. m karthik says:

hello sir,i would like to know that, is mba right after graduation worth doing it,without wrk experience????
    n thanks for suggestion in advanve

@Sarwat and Kartik: It is not a good idea to go for an MBA without work experience. Get at least 3 years of work experience before you apply to international MBA programs. Take the GMAT about a year before that, or even earlier if you are inclined.

11. santhos says:

hi Iam living in chennai I have 2 years 6 month experience in bpo field. I would like to study mba in usa at low cost state schools. and I really don’t like gre,gmaat,ilets etc exams.is there possible to get any college.and I completed degree in madras university correspondence. thank you im waiting for your reply.

12. Sunny says:

Are EMBA programs good alternative….if done from a reputable school? Can they offer the same benefit as an MBA (full-time) from that same reputable or a little lesser lower ranked school?

13. Gayatri says:

@Sameer – I have given my GMAT and the score is 590. I was targeting somewhat around 680, but could not achieve it. Please can you help me understand what all good colleges in Singapore or Europe I can apply to? I have 5 years of work experience.

14. Anu says:

Need to know in detail regarding mba in USA without gmat

15. Ravi Kumar says:

Hello Sameer..

I am having 9 years of Experience in Tier 1 and OEM companies like Sona Group , Escorts Ltd, Metso Minerals India Pvt Ltd ,having mechanical engineering degree in my kitty from 2006 batch from private engg. college in Noida.

I want to give GMAT(probably giving GMAT in august 2016).But MS is in my mind too as I am a Design Engineer and technical background.
    MS or MBA ?? is the question Mr. Sameer.

Presently I am in US .

regards
    Ravi

16. Anish Raj says:

I have 13+ years of work experience in channel sales & distribution of different sectors( FMCG,HANDSET,TELECOM) at leading organisations. Now, I am experiencing that my career got flattened at this level. For a good jump, I have to sharp the metal & for this, I need to pursue 1 yr MBA . Plz guide whether I should try here in India or for abroad ? plz suggest good colleges as well.

Anish

17. sheikh asif says:

i have 7 years of experiance in banking sector. i have a enquire about global MBA but without GRE or GMAT

18. Tushara Iyyanki says:

Hi, i am a postgraduate student. i would like to know if there are schools accepting without gmat or work experience?..

19. supriya kamble says:

Hi, I am currently working in teaching field with 1 year experience. Will experience of teaching is countable for MBA abroad or do I need to switch the field. please suggest something good.

20. Palak says:

I want to pursue MBA from a decent college outside India where I can get job there itself.I have a work experience of 3.5 years and want to do MBA in marketing. Please suggest some good college where I can pursue this. Also I am preparing for GMAT currently and planning to give the same in Dec. Please suggest some good college with not so great GMAT acceptance score and the deadline for the same.

21. Ramprasad Manokaran says:

Hi ,

My name is Ramprasad. I am having 6.5 years of experience in I.T.I want to do MBA in supply chain.Please suggest top colleges without GMAT in UK.

Warm Regards