My response:What's it like to be a business management consultant?
You'll have a love-hate relationship with just about everything connected with your profession.
- You'll love how the brand name of the company adds dollops to your 'street cred'.
- You'll hate the unrelenting amount of workload that you are expected to manage.
- love the opportunity to rub shoulders with the who's who of the business world.
- hate their egos, their way of working and their rigid philosophies.
- love the exotic locations you get to travel to, the food, the best that money can buy.
- hate the airports, the hotel rooms, the stress.
- love the fact that you get higher than the market salaries and more than most of your friends.
- hate that your colleague across the table earns 15% more than you do.
- love the fact that your company is among the best in the business and the exit opportunities it offers.
- hate the fact that consulting will never be a long-term career for you despite all the potential you have.
- You'll love the variety of projects across industries you get to work on
- You'll hate the fact that you start responding to every bloody question in the universe with, er, bullet points.