INSEAD admit with scholarship for Indian applicant

INSEAD admit with a scholarship for Indian applicant

When applicants ask us how many schools they should apply to, we suggest having enough on the list to manage the quality (of each application) as well as the risk (of not getting into their top choice). Most candidates follow our advice, but occasionally we come across a few who’ve pretty much made up their minds about the way ahead.

Anjali Grover (name changed) was completely smitten by one school, and she wasn’t willing to look at any other backup option. That raised the stakes (and expectation levels) to a different level, since this MBA program has been ranked as the best in the world by Financial times this year.

INSEAD admit with scholarship

by Anjali Grover

Born and bred in Chandigarh, I completed my B.E. from PEC in Civil Engineering. Post graduation, I started my career with Evalueserve – a research and analytics firm, which gave me hands-on experience in analysing market landscapes for large businesses and finding data-driven solutions aimed at improving efficiencies.

In 2012, I moved to Romania to continue my assignment. While my journey with Evalueserve was a great learning experience, I realized that to move to the next level, it is imperative to add new skills and widen my network. Hence, I decided to pursue an MBA from INSEAD.

Why INSEAD?

I had a few criteria for my school selection:

a) a top ranked school
b) a one-year MBA.

However, in the end it was all about the fit for me – culturally and professionally, INSEAD rang a bell close to home.

With a strong academic record, a GMAT of 720, I knew I had a decent shot for an admit. Initially, I did not think of professional help, as most of them appear to be money-minting machines. Since I was only applying to one school and that was THE school for me, I wanted to leave no stone unturned.

I had been introduced to Sameer Kamat from MBA Crystal Ball a few years back through an MBA forum (I had also read his book – Beyond the MBA Hype, back then). He came across as an enthu cutlet who can talk to you both as a friend and a mentor.

You will instantly know that he is genuinely interested to help you figure out next steps in your career, which may or may not be an MBA. Needless to say, the conversation is far from being a sales pitch.

This time when I reached out to Sameer, he connected me to MG so I can decide how comfortable I am with my him as my potential consultant (I don’t know if any of the other consultants do this!).

One phone conversation later, I knew I wanted to leverage MG for my application. MG’s critique of my essays really helped me to understand how my essays would appear to a third person. He helped me put my best foot forward with a well-rounded application.

INSEAD application results

With God’s grace, not only did I make it to INSEAD, I also received two financial grants (MBA scholarships) from the school!

In my opinion, an MBA application is your life’s story in a nutshell, and thus the application is a test of storytelling. No one can change your story, but good MBA application consultants can help you tell it in a way that no one else can tell it better.

Most of the top-ranked schools have some commonalities i.e. hubs of type-A personalities, most of whom were super achievers in their past life and will write great success stories post MBA.

While INSEAD also boasts of such accolades, its variegated student set, and spirit of collaboration, make it very different from other top ranked schools.

The treasure of knowledge that comes with a very culturally diverse class is overwhelming and fulfilling at the same time. It was a totally life changing experience, which I am grateful to have had.`

– Anjali

Read these related stories:
I got into INSEAD, twice
1 Year MBA Abroad (INSEAD) vs 2 Year MBA in India (IIM)
INSEAD Singapore vs MBA in India, USA and France
INSEAD MBA admissions interview experience

Image credit: INSEAD

MG (Manish Gupta) //
MG (Manish Gupta)
As a principal MBA admissions consultant & career counsellor with MBA Crystal Ball, MG has helped many get into the top B-schools from ISB to Wharton. He is an IIT topper, an ISB alumnus (Dean's list honors) and a former McKinsey strategy consultant. Email: mcb [at] mbacrystalball [dot] com

1. Rakesh Agrawal says:

I have 10 years of work ex with Bharat Petroleum. BE mechanical from a very avg college and very limited exposure on job (typically a case in PSU- doing the same job from last ten year) . I am also short on fund to finance 50-60 lacs for an MBA. My field of interest is in academics. (I joined BPCL as I desperately needed to support family, couldn’t afford a PG after grad.) I want to do MS or MBA @ total cost of around 25 lacs.plz suggest will I be eligible for MS from Canada or US with 10 year work ex. and is it a good option ?

• Rakesh,

Most good schools in US/Canada have folks in 5-6 years average experience range. There are a few good programs you can check such as Sloan Fellows and Stan MSx. However, it would be impossible at the cost point you have unless you get some financial aid. I would not recommend MS in general – better suited for those with 0-2 years of experience ideally.

2. Doctor says:

Hi MG,

My GMAT score is 600 (q 44 ; v 28) . I have 7 years of experience in IT and I am working currently with PWC.
    10th ~ 78, 12th ~ 67 , BTech ~ 66 .
    Extra Curricular – I am a State level Gymnast. I have won national award in painting. I am a professional model and have done some very good assignments.
    I also operate a food chain , as my side thing. I have decent record of awards and certificates related to above.
    I am interested into marketing profile and want to target some good B- school in Australia. My plan is to study and settle in Australia.
    Kindly suggest me some B- schools to apply.

3. Prateek Uniyal says:

Hey buddy congratulations
    But its just that does a brand name of university as is in india like IIMs FMS n others they really make a difference when u get a job like they ask you about your college n then provide you with the package…so my question here arises does a brand of universities also the same in foreign countries?

4. abhinav gokllani says:

Hi MG,
    I wanted to know if someone has a target country like Netherlands so won’t rotterdamn be more valuable than INSEAD for them in order to settle in Netherlands.

• Abhinav,

The answer to this is pretty subjective depending on specific industry/sector. In general, a global brand such as INSEAD is acceptable universally. But local grads may be better entrenched in some industries which may make this easier from a process and pull perspective. So the answer is not a clear yes and no really.

5. Rishabh says:

MG Bhai,

Rishabh here.We spoke earlier via e-mail, an year ago, when you resolved a query of mine. I also had the opportunity to speak to Sameer bhai about his book. Nevertheless, I have a quick question, will be thankful if you can address it. Similar to the candidate in the above article I too am focused on only one B school- INSEAD. Just wanted to know how significant International Experience plays a role in getting admission into INSEAD keeping other factors aside. Asking this specifically because my whole experience of 4 years has been in working in startups in India and I don’t see any scope in the next 1 to 2 years to work in an International environment as well. Ideally i would want to apply in the next 1 to 2 years to INSEAD. So, based on your answer I can set my realistic expectations about getting to INSEAD.

PS: I am not just dumping this question on you. I did some extensive research online but it hasn’t given me any clear insight on this topic. So, taking your help. Just thought of giving you a heads up. Thank you for your time :)

6. Upasana says:

Hey
    I’m Persuing my BTech at SRM UNIVERSITY.And I have got few arrears to clear due to getting chicken pox while semester exams,would top b-schools consider my application?
    I have no work experience but I’m the member of the core organising committee of my university and my director of engineering and technology with few other highly qualified faculty are ready to give me a LOR.
    Due you thing I can get into a good university.

7. hi there,
    this is Dr. Romesh. I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon by profession and now look to change my field by doing MBA. I got through my MBBS in 2004 and completed Orthopaedics residency in 2009. Currently I have my own clinic and do a fair bit of freelancing. So the post MBBS experience is around 11 years while post PG its around 7.5 years. I have always been actively involved in sports and extra-curricular activities, with umpteen medals and certificates in my kitty. I have been running half marathons for last 4 years with PR of 2 hr 2 min.
    Now, the questions that bother me are:1. Is it worthwhile doing an MBA at this stage of life when you are all set into your profession? 2. if the answer is Yes, Which is the best B-school to target considering my profile? 3. I plan to settle abroad, Is it better to do MBA from a foreign university Or The prospects are actually same with Indian Universities also? 4.

8. Anjum Ahmad Gilani says:

Dear Manish

I am an oil and gas professional with 13 years (all in India). To accelerate my career growth should i go for a one year MBA (like PGPX IIMA) or EMBA.

regards

Anjum Ahmad Gilani

9. Ayush Yadav says:

Hi Manish, Ayush this side, I am an oil and gas professional and have been working in oil refinery for past 3 years. I will be applying for MBA programmes in 2018 and wanted to ask you specifically something about INSEAD. Since my exposure has been in INDIA only, just to diversify my profile, should I try a summer school like LSE or Harvard, which gives me some kind of international exposure as well.
    Thanks.

• Ayush,

International experience is great but don’t do it just for an application and never do it at the cost of some compromise in the career. If those are not the guiding factors, sure do the summer school thing. And share with our blog readers too as to what kind of programs you are exploring.