10 Salary negotiation tips for Indian professionals

Salary negotiation tips India

As Indian professionals, we are a funny bunch. We don’t mind locking horns with the auto-rikshaw driver or the vegetable vendor for demanding one extra rupee.

But when it comes to bigger (life-changing) amounts, like salaries and compensation packages, we rely on the benevolence of head-hunters & HR professionals to throw at us what they think we deserve.

Giving salary negotiation tips in India is tricky because it’s not a scientific, well-documented technical skill to master. But developing the skills for negotiating a higher salary are more important than ever today.

Why? Because the graph of onion prices (and in general the overall cost of living in India) looks more impressive than the stock market graph.

Forget about the advanced salary negotiation techniques, it’s time to go back to the basics because we haven’t got it right yet.

10 Salary negotiation tips for Indian professionals

Salary negotiation in India tends to be among the most awkward and challenging phase in the job-hunting process. The discussions need to be done tactfully without sounding rude or aggressive, at the same time you need to mutually work it out with your employer so that the new job incentivizes you to take the plunge.

Here are a few tips to go about it.

Unlock the content below, your next big increment strategy might hidden in it.

So set your priorities right; go well-prepared and give it your best shot!

We clap when Big B says (during compensation related negotiations) that he doesn’t pick up money thrown at him, and then we go ahead to do exactly the opposite in when we are in the same situation.

We hope this article gives you some ideas to think about before you reach the salary negotiation table, so the end result is clap-worthy.

Any interesting salary negotiation stories (from reel or real life) that are worth sharing?

Pic Source: Deewar | Trimurti Films Pvt. Ltd [“Main aaj bhi pheke hue paise nahin uthata”]

Swati //
Swati
After working for over a decade in technical and managerial roles in the corporate world, Swati now works as a freelancer and writes on a variety of topics including education, career guidance and self-improvement.

1. Rashmi says:

Kindly help me to take right decision at right time for higher education! I will try my best to explain clearly in less possible words.
    Education – B.tech (IT)
    Job experience – Online/Digital marketing (3 years)
    Current salary – 3.0 L
    Belong to middle class & age – 25years
    Present Mind state – Don’t want to work anymore in this field, want to switch my field but confused. I am not clear where should I go, sometimes my mind says in marketing may be because more money or effect of reading book ‘Poor dad rich dad’ reached in the middle of the book.
    Self analysis – I enjoy researching or analysis on anything or topic. I love tech things & also good at maths. My ambition is to become astronaut ;) since i was 14. My hobbies – dance, travelling, love advent-our activities. People say I am very interesting in talks, sweet, simple & having interest in so many things except politics. Never tried for any government exams as I don’t like bank jobs or ssc such types, because for me it sounds like boring. Now, I have many options like – M.tech , MBA or continue my job.
    Problem – Sometimes, I thought for leaving job & go for CAT preparation but others I strike for doing online mba program-me.
    I am very ambitious, hard working & smart girl, I can do whatever I want to do. But I am unable to figure-out what I really want. Please help me with all my features, conditions mentioned above.
    I am waiting for your response.. please give me some of your precious minutes & give me answers with logic.

waiting…

2. madhur says:

I am a b.tech from in CSE from manav rachana international university. Its a deemed university and does not hold much value.
    After graduating I joined CSC but left the org in 8 months as they were trying to put me in customer support.
    After that I joined ADOBE but the profile was Tech Support consultant and I was not able to cope up with night shifts so I switched again to a small company with a package that is less than half of what I was getting in ADOBE at a small MNC. Basically I was hired as a fresher and technology assigned to me is PHP.
    PHP is a language where there is only web development and there is not scope of big projects.
    Also I cannot get into BIG MNCs like TCS etc as they don’t have PHP projects. The technology I was interested in requires 3-4 years of minimum experience. At this point I stand as a fool. Having made a switch recently have made me lost my credibility at home.
    I am in this job because its better than the last one as far as future perspective is there. But I also feel that staying away from development have made me loose interest in it. I want to work on a manager role. I thought to do an MBA next year as I am 24 now so if I enroll when I am 25 then I will be able to complete it till 27th.

Now the issue is that I don’t have much time left and I want that if I do I do a full time post-graduation. My parents say that doing an MBA won’t make a difference unless you do it from IIMs. My brother and his wife did MBA from Asia pacific and they say that doing MBA from such a college is not beneficial.
    I have lost my confidence and my last cat score was 30+. I am looking for a domain switch as I feel I am not for this industry. I don’t like the work. I asked my parents that let me do an MBA from some fine institute like Asia pacific itself but they frown at it and they all scare me that you will get a sale job after it that too you can’t earn more than 15k.
    I was a bright student, Created a Humanoid, a highly fuel efficient car also a musician. Also I have done a course in 2d-3d animation.

Right now I am very much stressed. If I can do MBA then I have to enroll anyhow next year.
    I want to be a manager and not a coder or executive anymore.
    What shall I do. Also I don’t have confidence that I can crack CAT. Last time I appeared for it without preparation and was able to score around 35.
    With preparation I may get to 70 but that also does not guarantee IIM.

Right now my package is around 2 LPA In ADOBE it was 7 LPA.
    If I do MBA next year then I will have experience of about 3.5 years in PHP (As I can justify).
    I hope that If I do MBA from a normal institute I must get a package of around 4 LPA. All my family members are management people.
    Still they don’t support me right now.
    WHAT SHALL I DO. Please help..

• helping hand says:

Friend, you are a smart guy. Not sure why you’re so stressed out. You’ve got a brilliant brands on your resume. Just do one thing. Ask your self below questions:
      – do i enjoy working on this project?
      – am i learning anything new?

If your answer is no to any of the q’s, start learning new things/technologies like sfdc,cloud,hhtml5 eTc. Break your prob into bits and pieces and deal with it.

If you are willing to for MBA, dnt bother abt ur age. Keep preparing for CAT and moment you get ur score, leave the job.

Most imp is you need brk ur prob, think wht u want and deal with it step by step. Been thru same situatn thats why advising u… take care and all the best…

@helping hand: Thanks for pitching in and providing a, er, helping hand.

4. MAha says:

Superbly written ! Best is Amitabh’s dialogue getting the point across, crystal clear !

5. rakesh says:

Hi can anyone guide us I am quality manager but my package is 5 lakh/annum but it is below my expection I want atleat 10 lakh/annum, how I can negotiate with next company.

6. Alka says:

I have been part of an MNC for 1 years 11 months. My skill was java but being a fresher they forced me into production support. I worked there for 1.5 years slogging hard in shifts after which i requested my manager to release me as i wanted to switch to dev.

I like development a lot but finding it difficult to get..after slogging so hard in my previous project my appraisal is bad as i asked for release.

I am trying in the same company for better projects but there arent any.
    What should I do ? If I switch which company will give me a job looking at my compensation this.
    Note:-I am hardworking and preparing myself for gud development job.I practise and prepare projects at home.

7. Bibhuti Sethy says:

Hi This is Bibhuti,
    I am a graduate in economics from utkal University in 2006. due to ffinancial pressure of my familiy i joined call center. and started my career.I counld not continue my study though i had a great nterest in preparing for civil service. I could not make myself free from the clauws se s of poverty bcz my parents income was insufficient, Then i joined Wipro for a high packae here also i did not get any chance for futher study.
    Now i am working with a MNC in a very good Domain but my dream of becoming an IAS is still there. but i am able to decide how to start for that becase i cant leave my job , in this job i am hardly getting time. please suggest