8 Reasons why you hate your job

‘Why do I hate my job?’ If you catch yourself asking this question too frequently, it might not be as serious as a mid-life or mid-career crisis. Probably there’s a simple explanation. When you hate your job but you can’t quit, making a few adjustments can help reduce the stress and the hate. Guest blogger Rohit Gupta digs in to find out what you’ve been trying to hide in your backyard.

Why do I hate my job?

by Rohit Gupta

Being a part of corporate workforce, you are now used to juggle between your work-life and real life, health and job, urgent and important tasks et cetera.

But you don’t seem to be happy; you just see your job as a ‘job’ and not a career. You are pretty clear about what work is and what play is for you, and that corporate stint is definitely not play!

You somehow know deep within your heart that you could do so much better, that you could be so much freer in your thoughts and execution; if only you were not constrained by the surprisingly durable fetters of your day job.

You also know deep within that you won’t be making a substantial dent in the world around and/or scooping up shitloads of money through your regular corporate day job (incorrupt hard-workers!) sitting in your cubicle. That you will hit a glass ceiling no matter what, as your boss decides what to put on your table, dude/dudette.

The youthful dreams get beaten up into an unidentifiable pulp amidst a territory defined by ever-expanding comfort zones and mind-numbing status quo; the implicit requirement of latest gizmos and a beautiful bride notwithstanding (sorry, but no sorry). How will you frigging pay for your home loan if not for your job?

And then, you occasionally turn into a fierce patriot intensely worried about the state of the nation’s economy as you fret about the taxes levied on you, and yet nothing to show. There can be innumerable reasons to hate jobs, as in seriously. While shitty co-workers, long hours and low pay top the list in general, it may be something as innocuous as finding the work boring (which is still classified as a first world problem by your Dad, BTW).

1. Britney Spears’ relationships seem to be more stable than your job

In this tough macroeconomic environment, you cannot be too sure of your place in the firm. If you happen to be in an unfortunate spot where you can be ‘given the axe’ (there won’t be any girls chasing you for this one), you are in for perpetual agony.

In a tensed environment like this, if you think you are surrounded by sharks who will shred you to pieces the moment they get half a chance, you are probably right.

2. The Onion syndrome: Multiple layers that make you cry

True, your corporate establishment is not some sluggish government office where one has to face red tape.

But what about the presentation you made yesterday that was revised just because you had to follow some arbitrary guidelines set by the manager who doesn’t know the unique requirements of your project (and yours of course, duh).

Or the four emails you had sent, asking for the permission to install that web browser?

3. You are just another brick in the wall

Probably the most ‘trending’ after the release of 3 Idiots (maybe we should plot the stats for campus placements in India pre and post the movie release, a random idea!).

How can you put your heart out in making financial reports when your mind is weaving its own story? How can you test a code when the riffs of your first guitar melody ring in your ears day-in and day-out? (Okay, cheesy alert).

And the sad truth is— if misaligned passion is a case of chronic constipation, having no-passion is an epidemic. Firstly, herd mentality is a default feature in the Indian set-up (read about Maslow’s hierarchy for better insights).

Second, after years of no risk environment and outsourcing of critical life decisions, a typical middle-class adult is like a domesticated deer whose chances of survival are bleak if thrown into wild without conditioning.

4. The money plant on your desk is growing faster than your salary

The allure of money is too strong, but what if the salary is shitty too? Or the promotional graph looks like Government’s five-year plan?

The realization when dawns makes you crib and fume, not to mention all the job searches on forums while utilizing your deep ‘network’ in a never ending hope to always earn more than your brother in law.

5. Square peg in a round hole

Imagine the plight of a teetotaler in a brewery. A law abiding citizen in a firm which cooks its books? A benign case of a solo worker in an organization which thrives on team work.

You somehow convinced the interview panel that you were an excellent ‘fit’, and now you contemplate whether you made a mistake. Burn in hell, you deceitful liar.

6. Your jammed stapler gets more attention that you do

You are not given enough say in the organization because you are a replaceable cog. There are so many pirated versions of yours floating around in the ecosphere, dying to work for the company on a lesser salary for longer hours.

Your skill set might not be that unique after all, make a prayer to sweet mother of technology that your job is not automated as of yet (or further outsourced to Philippines!)

7. Your only source of mental stimulation in the day is Sudoku

There is a sweet spot when it comes to challenging work, too much challenge can deflate a person, while too little challenge can bore-to-the-core. Unfortunately, with outsourced processes becoming our major chunk of bread and butter, the bubbling youth is not challenged enough in most cases (calculus will be a useful life-long tool, those days).

High supply of talented people+ low demand for good work= Underemployed populace. Period.

8. Your boss has helped you discover emotions you never knew existed

Last, but obviously not the least. Ask the free bird who is now micromanaged, the hard worker who doesn’t get due credit and the moralist who thinks that the boss has a slightly less harsh attitude towards the fairer sex. Bosses as a breed have a bad reputation since time immemorial.

Entrepreneurs ask us all the time how we figure out the valuation of a startup company. Most VCs suggest that this is a very mysterious art. But actually it’s quite simple: To determine the fair value of a startup company, multiply the numbers of engineers by $250,000, add $250,000 for each engineer from IIT, and then subtract $500,000 for each MBA.

— Guy Kawasaki (Read his interview on MBA Crystal Ball)

This is by no means an attempt towards making you feel worthless. Shit happens. You can be proactive and find a job which proves to be great for you, or better yet, you can build a side business on your own. Say bye-bye— Social media, Game of Thrones, IPL et al.

Dream. Build. Inspire. Get.Off.Your.Butt.

Author Bio: I am Rohit, an engineer by education, a data analyst by profession and a reader by inclination. Since 2012, I’ve been writing about self-improvement, productivity, coping with life as it comes and just being plain happy. I blog at http://urbangallivant.wordpress.com/

Next time when you say, ‘I hate my job‘, ask yourself if any of these reasons might be responsible for it. Often it could be a combination of factors, not just one.
If self introspection isn’t working and you’d like a helping hand, a little career counselling can be helpful in clearing up the cobwebs and charting out a way to stop hating your job.

1. Aniket sharma says:

hello sir,
    I’m in mid-career crisis and I hate my job. I don’t know what to expect and suddenly stumbled upon this site. My problem is that I’m a power plant operations engineer and I don’t know what can I expect after doing 1 yr exec-MBA from top tier college? I’ve heard colleges look for ‘fitment’ of profile, so that students won’t pose difficulty in getting placed post-MBA. In what type of industries can I be a fit, with my 5+ yrs of O&M experience in power industry. Please guide me

@Aniket: You are right that MBA colleges look for a ‘fit’ but that doesn’t guarantee a job. You can try to change your industry or role, by reaching out to companies on campus, plus those who don’t visit as well.

3. Simi says:

Hi sir, i completed BCA 2009 .. as i din ve placements.. i joined fr networkin in jetking also did CCNA.. bt din get any good job.. so again did software testing course nd joined in small company.. i worked fr 4 years.. the company got relocated so had to move on… i searched fr job bt actually din get any..now m pursuing MCA in Sikkim Manipal Distance.. I want to change my career to teaching wt should i do.. how should i proceed pls help me sir… m confused..

4. sunil says:

hi,, samair… i am very confsed and frusted ,… please help short story of me..
    i passed diploma in mech. engineering in 2007 and in that yera i also got job in automobile giant comapny. right now i am guy with 7 years experience .. but this time i want to do b.tech part or regular.(its regular part attendce there is no issue.) so please suggest what to do.. part trime & regular..

@Simi: What type of teaching are you interested in? You could target software training where your prior experience can help.

@Sunil: Regular works better, as the market value is more than part-time degrees or online degrees.

6. Aditya Agarwal says:

I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate working in Cement Manufacturing Industry as a Procurement Executive for 5 Years now.Also ,completed my GDMM (From Indian Institute of Materials management) recently.Am married for One year now and just celebrated my 28th birthday.
    I always had a keen interest in arts and travel,communication,Food & Health & anything which makes life lively.
    Office has always been a bad side for me since I got in owing to ill-tolerance to system (Which eventually shows in your appraisals ,constant yearning to break free,Go home on time etc.)
    My mind automaticaly takes up Gardening & my other DIY projects on priority rather than taking office on priority.
    Same has been with my last 3 jobs(including current one,which has a hectic 8 to 8 timing,leaving me exhausted & dejected).I have looked here & there but cant decide on switching career or other alternatives.

Any suggestion /POA for further course solicited Please.

@Aditya: There are many folks in your situation who don’t just dislike certain aspects of their jobs, but they end up hating the corporate system itself (which is where you seem to be heading).

You might find this story inspiring. It’s about someone like you who left the corporate world.

8. Naren says:

Hi sameer,

I am 25 yrs old. Currently working in a leading construction company as a Sr Engg.

My profile
    10th -90.60% CBSE
    12th -88.4% CBSE
    B.E- 86%
    M.Tech- 8.4 cgpa (IIT)

Work exp- 1.5 yrs

Yes i have masters from IIT . But lately i feel disinterested in my career in construction industry and would like to pursue an MBA. I am very much frustrated with my current job as it has long working hours at remote locations and least work life balance.

Kindly advice me which will be better to take up- CAT or GMAT considering my age and profile. Is it too late for me to pursue an MBA from good B schools in India. Also can u advice me which would be better for my profile a regular 2 yr MBA or 1 yr EMBA. I would like to study in India or Singapore.

9. Naren says:

Hi Sameer & Team,

My profile
    10th -90.60% CBSE
    12th -88.4% CBSE
    B.E- 86%
    M.Tech- 8.4 cgpa (IIT)

Work exp- 1.5 yrs

I have a strong liking towards finance and operations. Worked with diverse teams in my current role.

10. Raj says:

I have read your blog and many of the comments and solutions given and i liked it very much. I would like to write my short story here so that i can come out of this dilemma what should I do..Well, I graduated in 2005 with botany and chemistry and i was an above average student in my academics. After working for around 7 years in corporate world, I am not satisfied with anything i have in my life. The first reason is I am kind of person who are liked by management in these corporate world :(. I am very direct, honest, and no-nonsense person thats the reason I am still analyst even after such a long time. However I did not spent more than 2 years in any company, I have worked with top intl BPO, Top IP firms and now i realized that i m not for whatever I am doing here. Franky speaking my profile here does not help me learning anything and i want to settle down, but i dont think i am prepared for that. i want to go abroad coz i dont like people’s thinking here, i dont know but i found most of people selfish which makes me think i dont belong to this place. I have always thought to move out of India :( ::P/.. anyways I want to know what should i do at this point of time, to get a settled life… in terms of education job or like… plz reply,,if possible plz reply on my email.. onesiraj…gmale per.. :P

@Naren: With 1.5 years experience, you aren’t out of the league yet for CAT MBA programs in India.

@Raj: You are making the big assumption that the mindsets and mentalities of employees abroad is very different from Indian colleagues. On the face of it, there might be visible differences, but basic human nature and negative virtues changes very little across geographies. Be careful.

12. Sumit says:

This is Sumit. Hope you are doing fine..
    I would like to seek your valuable opinion regarding my career growth. Here is my career chart so far:
    I am and Electronics and Telecom Engineer graduated in 2006. Then, I started my career as Software Manual Testing Professional in an ITES company and stayed there for almost 2.7 years. Then I switched to its competitor in the similar profile and role with a decent hike and spent 1.5 years there. Then, at last, I switch to another competitor with the similar profile and role again with a decent hike. I am in the same company now for last 4.2 years. And, now what has happened is, my career graph stands still. I have not gained much in terms of vertical growth since the start of my career. And, with almost 8 years of experience now, I am not even a Senior Engineer in my organization. And, people with my experience have been Team Leads/Managers. My package is also very less if I compare to market standards, not even touching 8 LPA mark.
    I am also not good at software languages as I was Electronics and Telecom Engineer and Not Computer or IT Engineer. The current profile I have is no longer demanded in market much.
    I am not sure what to do to grow in my organization or change my job. There is no chance of vertical growth in my organization as the management says that there are no need for senior or lead positions in the team.
    I don’t know what to do to grow my career.
    I just know that my verbal and communication skills are pretty descent and I am good at manual testing skills. I could converse to people, onshore counterparts pretty well.
    Please help me.

13. amit says:

Hi Sir/Madam,

I am working in an IT firm. I have now realised that I have keen interest in Indology. Could you please suggest me some PG courses in Indology which can offer some good career oppurtunities? I know its quite off the track thing as I have completed B.Tech and now this stream. But I believe its not too late to return to the right track.

@Sumit: Over the weekend, I met someone with a similar profile as yours. He moved from a Quality Assurance role to project management where it’s more of coordination rather than technical knowledge. He was able to do so after shifting to a smaller company. You could explore such options.

@Amit: I’m sorry, but my knowledge about Indology is very limited. You are right in saying that it’s an off-track line to pursue. All the more reason to be vigilant about the prospects after completing such a course.

@Shailu: Not sure how we can help. But there’s clearly a disconnect between your qualification and your experience. You could try searching for opportunities in a related field. You may have to start from a junior level, which means the pay will not match what you are getting now.

15. vinay says:

hello.. sameer kamat. frm the mid of my bba i always feel that i will nt fit in pvt job.. i want to to join gvt sector.. were i feel i will be suitable. bt now i m doing mba for some reason .. i want to know can after compliting mba i can try out for gvt.. it requires min a year fr prepration . if not so ,does it affact my career..

16. Niki says:

I’m gonna go for an MBA. I just stumbled upon this site cuz I just wanted to know what to do when you hate your job. I seriously am blank about my career and my job, as I’m not an MBA kinda person, and there’s no choice left before me. I’m doing it for the sake of doing it.