MBA after 30: Am I too old for a full-time bschool degree?

MBA applicants who are older than 30 years (or closer to 40) often ask these questions:
– ‘Is it too late for a full-time MBA program?’
– ‘How do bschools look at MBA applicants over 30?’
– ‘After I cross 30 years, should I even try for full-time MBA programs?’
– ‘Will my age force me to choose between an Executive MBA or Part-time MBA?’

Most of these ‘senior’ applicants are considering conventional American 2-year full-time programs. There are several 1-year programs where the average age is closer to thiry (in fact, higher than 30 for a few bschools). But when it comes to the regular 2 year full-time MBA, there’s a statistical and psychological bias that comes into play the minute you move to the wrong side of thirty.

Why do those over 30 consider a 2-year full-time MBA?

For pretty much the same reasons as their 20-something competitors would – a full-blown immersive MBA experience, expanded career opportunities (including a change of geography, industry, role or all 3) and a chance to be part of the elite alumni network and yeah, big bucks!

In fact, after crossing 30, the need to give their careers a fresh lease of life is even more that it might’ve ever been in their twenties. An executive MBA or a part-time MBA can’t deliver the same bang for their buck. So those are kept as backup options.

It’s also tougher to leave a stable job after reaching a mid-level management position with a handsome salary for a full-time MBA degree. But even if the MBA applicant is willing to take the risk, bschool admission teams don’t seem to be as enthusiastic about the decision. Why?

Why full-time MBA class profiles have very few students over 30?

The psychological bias that we referred to earlier results from the following assumptions.

1. MBA students over 30 will find it more difficult to get jobs. So the placements statistics for the bschool (an important parameter for MBA rankings) will be adversely impacted

2. The salary jump (if at all there is any) for 30 to 40-year-old MBA graduates will be lesser than it would be for the 20-something graduate. This is another crucial parameter for MBA rankings.

3. Then there are the other perceived belief that older MBA students will not fit into a class that has a lower average age.

If you are over 30, how can you improve the MBA admit chances?

Now that you know the reasons for the bias, the plan-of-action might seem intuitive. See how many of the admission officer’s concerns listed above can you address in your MBA application during the admissions process.

Your story-line needs to be stronger than the others – specifically the post MBA career goals. What jobs are you aiming for? How will an MBA help you get there?

Typical questions you might think, but the answers need to be bullet-proof and the application executive strategy needs to be extra solid. A mature MBA applicant with an immature, or half-baked storyline is the best way to strengthen the bschool’s bias against folks like you. Don’t give them more ammunition to use against you.

Help them understand how the grey streaks of hair and the slight paunch that is showing are signs of wisdom and prosperity which you have gained in abundance in the extra years you’ve put into the corporate world. Modestly, show them how you can teach those kids in the class a lesson or two of your own.

At MBA Crystal Ball, we’ve helped those who are over 30 (one was close to 40) get into some of the best bschools across the world. So if you fall in the 30+ club and need some help in overcoming the bias during MBA admissions, get in touch.

Do you know of any applicants who got into the top bschools after 30? What were their profiles and what schools did they get into?

1. Sudar says:

Hi

I am a Chartered Accountant from India, with 16 years of workex. I am also a CPA from US. I also have 2 additional professional qualifications.

I took the GMAT once and got 650. The 2nd time got me 640. I am 38. I want to apply for a 1-year MBA. Tell me what are my chances of getting admitted to a top school (IMD, Insead etc).

Sudarshan

Sudarshan: It’s impossible for anyone to tell you about your chances based on what you’ve shared. So I’ll give you general pointers instead.

Your GMAT Score doesn’t help here as others (specially from India) are going to apply with substantially higher scores.

Schools like INSEAD and IMD are very (VERY) competitive. There’s a lot of emphasis on ‘Fit’. And also on your accomplishments, goals and how you plan to use your MBA to get there. Start thinking about those answers.

It’ll also be good if you can include other schools that may be more aligned to your experience levels and aspirations…and of course, more practical.

3. Vijay says:

Thanks a lot for sharing great knowledge. I want your practical advice for my “mid-life” career situation

Age : 38

Experience : 14 years of progressive experience in implementing and managing Oracle ERP projects with Big 4 Tech Consulting Company

Location : Career started in India, early part of career – Middle East – 3 years and later part in US – 8 years

Situation : I was always interested in quality business education.But never gave it a serious thought and effort as I was busy building my career in the current line of work
    But, for past few years I am realizing that my career is going down the narrower lanes into ERP implemetation and project management roles aka technical solution delivery and a little bit of project management

Future Outlook : With MBA, I am aiming at Principal / Director – Sales & Delivery in Enterprise Applications

Debate : Please suggest Which MBA – Executive (PT) MBA in US / 1 year (FT) MBA in India

When I checked student profiles in EMBA (US) – General theme is Functional heads (like Director in Marketing, Sr. Manager in Engineering) who are looking for general management education. I did not see many IT technical (non managerial) profiles in the cohorts. Hence not sure how much I gain in these programs

Vijay

@Vijay: If you are targetting EMBA programs, your choice is pretty much limited to the geography you are working in (unless you are willing to commute extensively).

Here’s a list of the Best Executive MBA in USA to help you start the research work.

In India, the good full-time and EMBA options are even more limited for folks with significant experience. Check out IIMA PGPX.

5. Anil says:

Many thanks for such extremely helpful blog.
    I have completed my 3 year full time diploma(MSBTE) in electronics and telecom in 1998. I then started working as a software Engineer. Now I am a project manager in one of the reputed I.T MNC.
    Back then, I could not complete my full time degree due to very poor financial background and lack of knowledge on available options such as financial aid. One of my family member had financed my diploma engineering and I could not ask for more.
    When I joined I.T industry, I was sent onsite several times to different countries.As a single bread winner in my family my first priority was to earn money and be financially stable. Hence during all these years I could not spend time and money on education.
    In 2007, I joined distance BBA course from Sikkim Manipal university and completed it in 3 years since I was in India that time.
    With 3 years diploma in engineering, distance BBA and 15 years of experience, should I go for an MBA (any MBA) now and will that help my career in future? If yes, then which school and which program would help? I wish to do further education in Finance/IT. Thanks.

6. Tejpal says:

Liked your post as not many try to address this issue.

I am 34, have close to 10 years of experience handling sales in the IT/Telecom domain with reasonable growth. Have handled a team in the past though don’t have one now. I have had international exposure handling clients outside India but no significant length of stay abroad.

I also have a prior MBA from a tier 2 institute (though that was not AICTE approved, so not sure of its validity abroad), which now seems to have run its course. I am looking to take up a One Year full time course from a well respected institue in Europe or Asia.

I have a GMAT score of 700.

Could you advise on what kind of colleges I should be looking at and how I can go about it.

Thanks.

@Anil: Reach out to a few bschools and explain your story. Many of them would be more than willing to let you know if they would consider your application. No point in making assumptions and realising later that certain admission policies would’ve been tough to jump over.

@Tejpal: Almost all programs in Europe and Asia are of a shorter duration. For your work experience, sticking to that geography would help. BSchools like INSEAD accept second MBA applicants, so that shouldn’t be a major issue.
    Start off with any reputed business school ranking and start researching schools in the UK, Spain, France, Singapore, Hong Kong and India.

8. Prakash says:

I am 31, having experience of 5 years in tier-1 MNCs. I have BE and MS degree from India. My experience is mostly in Technical Project Management and Marketing. Due to a personal reason I resigned from my previous job and looking for a new job. It is around 6 month now and still not able to get a job of same profile because I have technical background (BE+MS) and most of the employers need BE+MBA candidate. Therefore I am thinking for MBA (from India). Could you please help advise me whether should I go for 2 year MBA or 1 year MBA ? Will top B-schools consider me for 2 year MBA (I am afraid because I am 31) ? What are the chances of getting a placement after doing 1 year MBA from India? Also What are the chances of getting a placement after doing 2 year MBA from India?

My profile :

10th: 84%
    12th: 75%
    BE: 71%
    MS: (from India) : 9 (out of 10) CGPA

Thanks & Regards,
    Prakash

9. Vineet says:

I am 30 years of age working in an MNC for the past 9 years, done B Tech in the field of electronics . I am earning a descent package but would like to grow fast now. I am also married with 2 kids. My plan is to do a full time 2 year regular MBA only from top class B MBA colleges like IIM’s. My motivation and dedication towards MBA is clear now and I know that if I work hard , I will clear CAT may be in a year or two. Please guide me if preparing for CAT and then getting admission to one of the IIM’s is a good idea. And also let me know , can I expect a very good salary package at the time of Campus Interviews.
    My profile is :

10th : 89%
    12:89%
    Btech: 59%

Please guide me .

Vineet.

@Prakash: Your best bet would be to continue looking for a job. A 2-year MBA will set you back by at least 3 years (assuming a 1 year application phase). You’ll be 33 by the time you graduate. It’ll become tougher to get a job with a long break.

@Vineet: Why CAT? Why not GMAT MBA @ IIMs? The big shocker would be the fact that neither will ‘assure’ a good salary. A lot would depend on your pre-MBA experience and goals.

11. Mohan says:

I am 32 years of age and my GMAT score is 720. I had 10 years of work experience in IT industry. My 10th is 82%, 12th is 72%, B.Tech [ I.T ] is 68%. I am looking for an MBA program to change my career to finance or sales. Please advise what chance I stand in any good MBA colleges.

Mohan

Mohan: Here’s why getting a quick and simple answer to that question is against your interest –> How not to select bschools.

13. Ranita says:

I am a 27 yr old

Good for you, Ranita. I was also 27 years old at one point in my life :-P

Good phase to be in. Enjoy it

15. Ranita says:

I am a 26 yr old IT professional.I am planning to appear for MBA entrance next year.So I will be 27 by the time I get into an MBA college.But I am in a fix due to m age.IIMs have an average age of 24.Should I take the plunge or look out for something else?Will MBA colleges in India atall consider me?What are the chances of getting placed after an MBA?Please help

Ah, there was more to come. And the 27 has come down to 26. Being on our website seems to have worked its magic!

Alright, let’s get serious. For Indian MBA programs, it’ll be late. But for GMAT programs (ISB, 1 year programs at IIMs etc) you’d be in the right age bracket.

Placements work differently in the GMAT MBA world. You’d be responsible for getting yourself placed.

• s.khishore says:

I am re-asking the same question,is it really late to take the cat exams at the age of 26 hoping i could convert either IIM A/B for my full time MBA option.Currently im in a IT Company with 5 years of experience

17. Tiffany says:

I’m 42, a CPA and currently a senior auditor at a Fortune 200 company. I have 15+ yrs of prof experience, 10 of which in the US. I feel I have the right skills and experience, but feel like I need an MBA to boost my career and move up the next level. I got my undergrad degree from a top university in the Philippines. I want to apply in the top 10 US MBA schools. I know that my age bracket would generally fall under the EMBA, but I also know that the candidates’ profile in EMBA are mostly senior mgrs./executives. I am also looking at part-time MBA, but I am too old (based on current MBA candidates’ age profile). Am I a long shot to get accepted in the B schools. Please advice what program would be the best for me. Thanks so much!

@Tiffany: Part-time MBA programs tend to be a little more relaxed about age. They know that you already have a job, so there are no placement challenges.

What you need to think about is, whether a part-time degree will really help you achieve your goals. Articulate them well in your application to eliminate any concern that the Adcom might have.

19. Bobby Brown says:

I am a 34 year old engineer who works in the Canadian nuclear industry as a “probabilistic risk analyst”. Since graduating with a Bachelors in EE, 10 years ago I’ve worked as a control system developer and now as a nuclear safety analyst. I make decent money (100k+) but I am bored and worried about the long term prospects of my career. I want to move ahead in the corporate world, but I don’t see a way to do that from my current level. Should I consider an MBA?

20. Geetesh Anand says:

I will be 37 years this May and intend to pursue a 1 year MBA from a school like ISB Hyderabad or a good B school in Europe (1-1.5 Yrs Program). I am due to give my GMAT in October this year and embark on the MBA in early 2015.
    My grades so far, 10th Std 63%, 12th Std 78%, B Com 50%, PG Diploma in Accounting GPA 2.091 and CPA with CPA Australia with Credit grade in 5 out of the 6 subjects.
    I am a financial controller and have been so for the past 10 years in the investment management industry. With a MBA in Finance, I ideally want to make a transition to a CFO career path in investment management and also extend my hands into managing third party money in the private equity space.
    Could you please let me know whether:
    1. I will manage getting admission into a good B school based on my grades so far and will a good GMAT
    score(how much?) help?
    2. Is this a good time to pursue a 1 to 1.5 year MBA?

21. Bhavna Gursahaney says:

Greetings !!!!

I have completed my post graduation diploma in HR from Symbiosis and want to pursue a better course in HR. I am working currently. Request if you could suggest a program and the process to be followed for the same.

Thank you in anticipation.

@Bobby: You could consider an MBA, but most bschools would will nudge you towards their Executive MBA or Evening / Part-time MBA programs. Have a good answer ready for them.

@Geetesh: Your grades and GMAT are important. But in your case the timing and rationale for Why MBA, Why now is more important. One year MBA will be a better option.

@Bhavna: Sorry, but I’m not in favour of moving from one degree to another without having gained 2-3 years experience.

23. Priyankar Goswami says:

sir,i’ve completed my 10+2 in the year 2008..bt due to some inconvinience i could’nt complete my grad..but now i’m able to do so..and i want to do an mba for better future..but that time i’ll be 26 of age..totally confused..plz hlp me out.

24. Aps says:

I am an IT professional in India’s top IT company since last 9.5 years. Not very happy with my current job profile and role. So am planning to take GMAT so that I can pursue GMAT based MBA from a reputed institute. The one I am aiming for is the 1 year MBA from IIM Lucknow – Noida campus, because of 2 reasons : 1) the brand name IIM 2) I stay in Noida.
    I am 31 years old and right now preparing for GMAT. I plan to take the test in 4 months which gives me a month’s time to prepare my applications and am targeting a very good scrore in GMAT.
    What I want to know is that how good this MBA would be for me? I would love to get an industry change or if not that then, a better role & profile change in the same industry would also work. Needless to mention, I would be better equipped to handle the managerial roles with the knowledge that I would acquire during my MBA.
    I have read some forums especially about the last few batches of this 1 year course from IIM – L stating that the avg. work experience of the candidates in the last batch was around 9.5 years. This made me quite optimistic and pushed me to start preparing for GMAT. Before that I too used to thing that I have taken too long to decide and not its too late to do MBA. But your post has made me doubtful again :(
    Thats why I request if you can shed some light on how this would affect my case in particular.
    My academic grades are fine, not great and not bad : 10th – 83%, 12th – 75% B.E Computers : 72%
    Also, I have had a good profile in terms of showcasing : as I worked in california for around 4 years in last 10 years – at my client’s location in one of the best companies in silicon valley.
    Waiting for your response.

25. Vinu says:

Iam 41 years old BE and an mba from a tier 2 institute.
    I work on a mid management role in the IT Sector . Paid fairly well!!
    my experience is largely in to program management.
    i have however had experience in various employee initiatives, corporate sustainability social responsibility etc
    i tend to believe i still have it in me to make it to the isb.
    Im not sure if i can crack a 700 plus score now. Though i might end up close.
    acads havent been great. Howver im banking on a different experience and percieved ability to crack the
    Interview and do well on essaya etx.
    considering age and other factors positve and not ao positive
    do you think i could realistically consider a 1 yr mba from isb.
    meanwhile i have got admission in to phd management from a tier 1
    business school. Unfortunately unsure abt how even that would
    help me in a corporate career with around 4 years of toil
    looking fwd to hear from you.
    vinay

26. Mr. X says:

I am 29 Years old.
    I hold a B.E. in Electronics and a Master’s in Finance (from EU).
    I have 2.2 yrs work experience in Software Engineering and 4 yrs experience in the Financial Sector.

Please advise if it is a good idea to pursue a 2 Yr Full Time MBA in Finance from the United States starting Fall’15. (targeting NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Booths,Yale)

My main concerns are:
    1. My age (since I will be 30 when I start)
    2. the quality of my work experience. S,ince I am not working for a very big brand at the moment (although my work profile is pretty good).

Also, does a CFA and FRM charter aid in the applications ?

Regards.

@Priyankar: 26 is not too old for a GMAT MBA. Focus on completing your graduation first.

@Aps: Be aware that all IIMs aren’t created equal. The more selective the program, the better the market value. You’d also have to carry the task of job-hunting on your own shoulders.

@Vinu: To be blunt, you’d be swimming against the current, buddy. Tread with care.

@Mr X: You’d be a little higher than the average age, but not too far off. Your certifications will be counted.

28. Aps says:

Thanks for your response Sameer. But I am sorry, I dint quite understand what you are trying to convey. Are you insinuating that IIM Lucknow’s 1 year MBA program is not a good one to opt for as far as the placements are concerned? What about my other concerns?

29. Anuj Datta says:

The general impression I’m getting reading this as a 40year old is quite pessimistic. At some point you say 26 is not too old for MBA. So, what is? And are u also implying that post a certain age, MBA or not, makes no difference.

Anuj

30. RDU says:

MCB is a great forum for MBA aspirants.

I am a 29 year-old Chartered Accountant (Nov 2008 batch). I have also cleared Company Secretary course [All India 19th Rank in Final] and CFA (USA) Level III. My undergrad academics are also well above average. I am eligible for CFA Charter in July 2014. I also scored 99.71 percentile in CAT 2005 and had got interview calls from IIM-A, B and K, which I unfortunately could not convert.

For the past 4 years, I have been working with with a premier Asset Management Company as a Research Analyst (Debt), where I am responsible for a portfolio of USD 2 billion in regard to credit analysis, portfolio risk analysis, macro-economic research and related areas.

I have very good extra currics eg: professionally trained in Classical Music / Event management experience in organising concerts etc (if this at all helps bolster my profile)

I seek your advice on my prospects of getting into an Ivy League School (or in the Top 15 B-Schools in the US/Europe) in 2015, and the way ahead.

Thanks a ton.

31. RC says:

I have completed my BSc with Maths(Major), Statistics and Computer and then Masters of Computer Application (MCA), both from one of the top university in India. Since 2005 I am working in one of the top IT service company in India. I am now 34 years old with around 9 years of IT exp (1 year in US and 5 years in Switzerland) working directly with the customer (a major Pharma company). I have also worked in various management positions – Project management, account management, business development, etc. Somehow I have a feeling that I am getting a stagnation in my career and want to give it a jump. I am interested in full time 1 year MBA courses from Indian institutes and I am ready to join from 2015. Can you suggest something. I have an inclination for IIM’s but I would trust your advice.

Thanks a ton for your response.

32. keina says:

I am Homeopathic Doctor….now i am 30…n very confused about to get admission in MBA next year or not…..actually i want to change my ground for work…
    should I take risk or not…..only top College is best at this age or any average age .
    Please, help me.

33. R says:

Dear Sir, thanks for the post. Very helpful!
    I am 32. I have an MBA from MDI Gurgaon and 9 yrs work ex (1 yr in India, 1 yr in UK, 7 yrs in UAE – global real estate investing and strategy). I want to apply for J-term at Columbia Business School because of their Value Investing classes – I am very focused on this discipline and have a good track record of investing in Indian equities (following this discipline) and this is what I want to do post-MBA, but for US/Global market and hence the interest in MBA from CBS. Is this a convincing/compelling story? Do you think I have a chance? Any other advice will be appreciated!

@Aps: I’m saying that programs like IIMA PGPX are more selective than IIML IPMX. Your individual profile, aspirations and what you’ve done pre-MBA will influence your job prospects, much more than the bschool brand.

@Anuj: You’ll find bschools talking about a class that has folks who are 40+ yrs. However, that’s a minority. Think about it from the employers perspective as well. If you can convince them that you are better than the 30 somethings after an MBA, then a degree might help. Keep in mind that several niche industries (strategy consulting, Ibanking etc) would be outside reach. The only 40 yr old we’ve helped was an entrepreneur, and he’s done well for himself after the degree.

@RDU: We have a separate thread on our forum for free MBA profile evaluations.

@RC: Apart from IIMs, you can look at IMD too. You are already familiar and comfortable with Switzerland. And it’s a fantastic bschool too.

@Keina: What do you want to do after the MBA? You’ll have to think about that before heading off to bschool. They will not be able to help you plan your career.

@R: It sure is a valid reason to target Columbia. But as an Adcom I’d have many questions that pop up in my mind when you say that. So, whether you are competitive or not is a story that would require a deeper discussion.

NOTE: We will not be responding to further comments on this blog post. Please post your queries on our MBA forum.

35. Poulomi says:

Hi Sameer ,
    I am 31 years old with 8+ years’ of Technical experience in Product based companies.
    I have about a years’ international experience in total at USA & Germany.

I am targetting 1 year Accelerated MBAs in the USA or at IIM B . My Main motive behind getting an MBA is two pronged : I want to move to business oriented functions – Sales , Business development etc. & I would like to work abroad for the next few years.

Though i have led technical teams , I have no managerial experience whatsoever.
    I am targeting – Emory – Goizuetta , USC Marshall , Cornell , IIM B for courses starting 2015

My queries are as follows:
    1) Do B-Schools abroad have “campus recruitment?” . How do placements happen
    2) How is the accelerated MBA in USA different from the EPGP offered by IIM
    3) Which option would be a better ROI and minimum Risk option ( IIMs or Universities abroad)?

Poulomi

36. krishna says:

Hello samir,
    Great site and very informative post.
    I am 31 years of age, presently working as a manager in a regional rural bank(Gramin bank)
    I have a total of 4.9 years of experience (icici bank – 2 years, gramin bank 2.9 years)
    edu. qualification :
    10th : 83%
    12th: 75%(bio-maths)
    graduation: 50% bsc- bio.
    I had taken a break of 2 years after my 12th(pmt preparation)
    also there is a gap of 1 year between my jobs.
    kindly suggest if i should try for CAT 2014 and and go for a regular 2 year MBA or can you suggest something else?
    YOUR SUGGESTIONS CAN ALTER CAREERS!

Krishna.

37. Akhil says:

I completed my Engineering in 2009 and am currently working as a consultant with Ernst & Young India in IT Risk advisory practice (5 years experience). I will be 28 this August and have been planning for an MBA from US/UK/Singapore (primary aim is to move into management/strategy consulting). Now I have an opportunity to get a transfer to my company’s US office @85-95k USD per annum (same profile) for which I will have to hold off GMAT preparation for at least 1-2 years (which means I will be able to enter MBA at the age of 30-31 with 7-8 years of experience).
    I was finding it difficult to find what will be a good decision for me:
    – Forget the transfer and prepare for GMAT to get admission in 2015
    – Get transferred to US, get better exposure/money/profile and start MBA in 2-3 years while in US
    Factors that are confusing me in order to make a decision:
    – As an Indian candidate, I believe the salary post MBA would be around 100k USD per annum which I am already getting (approx) with this offer (but in the same profile though)
    – I think if I work in US for couple of years on US payroll, my chances into a good B School and getting a higher salary after MBA will significantly rise.
    – Will it be difficult or counter productive for me to switch profile post MBA after 7-8 years of work ex
    – Can we switch work profiles in US easily even without an MBA?

What would you suggest is the best path for me? Please suggest

38. Manuji Chaubey says:

Hello Samir,

You are really doing a great job for MBA aspirants. Thanks a lot for the effort.

Samir, I am 34 yr. old engineer, working in a leading public sector for the last 10 years in Contracts Management and Procurement. I have received all the due promotions so far. However, looking at the organization structure, I foresee stagnation ahead and want to switch the job, with proper ammunition to handle the fierce world of private sector.

I appeared for GMAT 7 yrs. back and scored 650, but I was not ready to settle for a college which was not in world top 50. Then due to certain other obligations I could not persue in this direction. However, looking at the stagnation ahead, I wish to enroll in 2 yr. full time MBA. What do you suggest?

My credentials:
    X: 84%
    XII: 71%
    B. Tech. (Mechanical) : 72%
    GATE 2003: 97.55 percentile . Since I got job at the same time, I didn’t go ahead in M. Tech. IITD.

The positive point is that I can avail two year study leave for my education. However, after spending 70-80 lacs, there is no coming back!!!!!

Please guide. I am getting demotivated every now & then, due to this age factor :(

39. ABYZ says:

Thank you so much for this site. I understand you might have answered this sort of a question a million times, but please help out.

I am 27 now. (Dec ’86 born).

Profile:

10th – 73.8 %
    12th – 55.8 %
    Bachelor’s (BBM) – 57 %
    PG (Mass Comm) – 57.65 %

Experience: 3 years
    Field: Technical Writing

I do hope i get into a good college with this year’s CAT. Then i will be 28 when i join MBA. If not, i plan to write again next year. (which of course will make me 29 years while starting). What do you think my chances are?

(I desperately want to switch to a different field – Consulting/Marketing. Would you suggest any alternatives? Pretty low on confidence at the moment as well.)
    Do average colleges (say Symbiosis etc) not prefer people of my age/profile at all?

Please help!

40. Aaap says:

I had done my graduation in science in 2005.
    Diploma in clinical research in 2008.
    had an exp. of 2 years in clinical research from 2008-2010.
    but now I had a gap of 4 years.I want to do Mba (CAT).should am I eligible for the same.? I am 32 yrs old.Is it beneficial to do MBA at this age.
    please guide me

41. Praveen Kumar Shama says:

Hello Sir,

I am Praveen Sharma, PG Diploma holder in Business Administration with spec in Media mgmt & Event Mgmt through DLE mode. I am a SAS Certified BI Content Developer for SAS 9. I am also a SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9. I have worked for about 3 to 4 months in a BPO and also for about 6 month in Animation Industry. I have just completed my 30 yrs age in August 2014. I am a fresher. I am not getting any job interview call regarding SAS jobs. The reason might be my non-engineering background. I am totally frustrated now. What should I do now ? Should I go for a full – time MBA course or should I go for short term courses like tally or autocad or even courses related to film / tv direction ……….. Pls help me ……………… I really need a career counselling …………… You can mail me your suggestions at praveentheanimator@gmail.com …… I will be waiting for your positive reply ……….

Thanks & Regards
    Praveen Sharma

Pleejh read the earlier comment.

43. Arun says:

Dear Sameer,

Thank you for this informative blog. I am a 32 year old MBA Graduate with 8 years experience in HRM. I have 5 years experience in Public Sector (Nava Ratna Company). I have a stable job and a decent pay. I have been involved in teams that have implemented new ideas in my establishment. However I feel outdated in this age of next gen management practices. I do have a strong desire to pursue a masters from either Cornell or LSE to update myself. Would my age factor (32 years) play spoilsport in securing an admission in these institutions (I have a GMAT Score of 720)

Thanks & Regards
    Arun

44. Nitin says:

Hi !!
    Thanks for helping many MBA aspirants here.
    I am 30 year old and having a work experience of 8 years in Public Sector Bank ( presently working ). I am planning to settle abroad preferably in Australia but I am not having any professional MBA degree. So I am planning to crack GMAT and do MBA ( ISB or even from a foreign univ.).
    Would that be a right decision to leave job and take a loan liability to do MBA now ?
    Would I be able to get better job with increase in salary package?
    Please guide.

45. Pavan says:

That was a awesome article – providing facts and let the “uncles” (kidding) choose what’s best for them. Also wanted your thoughts and advice on my situation. I’m also into IT/software and currently in ITIL project (Software Release management) and in between career, family, onsite could not focus on full time MBA. But I’m very much interested in domain knowledge and business analysis. My friends suggested going for a couse in BA might not help and suggested MBA instead to restart my career in BA..what do you think? Your response is highly appreciated.
    Btw I’m 32 year old!!

46. Robert says:

Thank you for such insightful article. I am 38 years old and looking to make a career change. I am targeting the state university (ranked 60 by US News & World Report) based on my academic profile I think this is a realistic choice for me (2.8 GPA, based on practice tests I expect I will come in somewhere in the 570-600 range for GMAT) for the last 14 years I have worked as a lab manager for a major optical retailer, at one of their retail stores. Which is my safest path out of that industry, an MBA or a Masters of Science? I like the field of supply chain and my work experience involves inventory and supply purchasing for lab operations so I can relate my prior work experience to a Masters degree in Supply Chain Management. The reason why I am considering an MBA is because a) more options, not a narrow field of study b) enhances my chances of moving up the ladder once I obtain new employment. But I am worried that at age 38 (will be 40 when I graduate) my time for the MBA is past and the best bet would be to obtain specialized education in a field such as supply chain, what do you think?
    PS: if I had my way, I would like to do a full time MBA program with a concentration on Supply Chain Management, financially I am in a position where I can take the two years off.

Thank you for your time and advice!

47. shrubbery says:

So hey, I graduated from INSEAD and I’m 33. Here are some pointers (and disclaimers) for my fellow walking-stick bearers (aka 30+ but still kickin’ it):
    1. You will be amongst the oldest in your class. Although the average age at INSEAD is officially 29, it felt like there were a lot of 26 year olds bouncing around with boundless energy.
    2. European b-schools generally have a higher class average in terms of age. IMD’s average age is 33 and Cambridge’s is 30. Amongst the US Schools, Kellogg and Wharton are at an average of 30 (I think).
    3. People WILL look at you strange coz ‘you so old..’. if you party with the kids, they’ll still look at you strange coz ‘you so old…’ Besides, you’ll feel kind of old too coz you’ll start wondering if you behaved that way too at that age.
    4. I’ve accepted that my mind slowed down after a certain age. That may be the case for some of you as well, so be prepared to be left behind some when the said 26 year olds breeze past you in class.
    5. It’s true that it is tougher for us geezers over 30 to find a job – switching careers is much tougher as you get older, MBA or not. Many recruiters do not want to take a chance with older folk unless you have specialized experience, and you must prepare for a few ‘ageist’ rejections. If you want to switch to a different industry/country or intend to start your own business, you’re good. However, it’s tougher if you’re still soul-searching or are clueless about what you’d want to do with with your life.

That said, being older doesn’t take away from the experience at all. I don’t care much for age, and so being older than the majority didn’t bother me. As long as you know why you’re studying for an MBA and what’s important to you, go in with guns blazing.

48. Mahesh says:

Hi Sameer.

Its a perfect blog for those who want to enhance their career in the Business Management. I am also in the same situation as many of others here on the look out of the career enhancement to the next level. I am 34 years old currently working as a finance manager in a medium sized industry in the middle east. I am also going to complete my ACCA qualification from UK next year along with my work ,Now i am seriously thinking of acquiring a reputable MBA from UK taking a break from my current job. Can you advise how prudent is the decision and considering UK as my next career destination at this age after completing my MBA. Willl there be any job prospers in UK since I have more than 10 years of working experience in the Accounts and Finance. How flexible the academics and employers in UK will be towards a student of over 30 compared to the other candidates.?

49. Ailawadi says:

Hey Sameer,

I am a BTech (regular) and PGDM Marketing(Distance learning) and having 4.7 years of experience that too in SAP ABAP(Techno functional) Consultant earning salary as per market standards.Currently working in TCS but totally dissatisfied with the job profile which is basically of a programmer.

But i am not at all interested in this job profile as i always wanted the profile of a professional who is the front runner in the organization i.e.
    Client Dealings,
    Delivering Sales Presentations to client,
    Fetching Business for the company and
    Visiting client site for very short durations.

I am in a state of dilemma whether to go for Executive MBA Regular 1 year program as i am about to complete my 5 years of experience in Industry. But lot of people, peers, friends have advised me not to quit the job and go back to College life as they call it high time for me to opt for marriage and concentrate on my current job. They also claim that if i will spend many lakhs on my MBA and return to the industry after completing my study even then my salary package would not be more than the one which i am currently getting and it would be complete waste of Money,Time and Resources.

Pls. advise me as i am not able to decide whether to go for the Regular EMBA or not.
    1. And do let me know which MBA Stream to opt matching my career profile as mentioned above.

2. How much it would cost me to complete EMBA and what would be my initial salary package after completing it.

3. Whether to appear for GMAT exam and will if benefit me.

Warm Regards,
    Ailawadi

50. Prakhar Patni says:

I am Prakhar Patni. I am a CFA and an FRM with a B Tech from NIT Calicut and have around 8 years of experience in Financial Analytics.I am 31 years of age and have recently written my GMAT. I got a score of 760. Now since most of the deadlines of colleges applications are over, I have left the hope of joining a MBA college this year. Can you please suggest me whether I should go for a regular MBA, EMBA or drop the idea of B School all together. How much would an MBA from India (specifically IIM A) would add value. I am really confused and tensed about this. I will appreciate your help.

Prakhar

51. Manuj Sardana says:

I am Manuj Sardana. I have 8.5 years of experience in IT industry. During my 8.5 years f experience I have worked for 4 different companies in different domains (Telecom, Healthcare, gaming and Finance). I am planning to do an MBA but I am confused whether I should go for 2 year or 1 year MBA? Also If I go for 1 year MBA, what are the chances of getting into a good b School with a not so good profile?

52. Atul says:

You are doing a great job by decoding the myths bout MBA for audience of all ages.
    My scenario:
    I am 30 now. I have gap in my studies 10th std(2000) – 58% , 12th std (2003) – 48% science, Bachelors in mass media (2012) – 75% , executive program for young managers – IIM Calcutta(2014-2015 completion).
    4 years BPO experience. 3 years social media & digital marketing experience, Google analytic certified professional. I am looking forward for a 1 year MBA in international business from HULT or 2 year full time MBA from any other university. I look forward to pursue a carrier digital marketing/ research or a consultant role. I am currently on a mid level position working with a social media agency. Do you think MBA at this stage would be advisable. Does a change in industry with a decent package would be possible in US. I would appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance.

53. Munish says:

Your website is full of useful information and I have found your responses really insightful.
    I need guidance regarding my career plans.I am 29 years old.My profile goes as below

X : 87.4 %(CBSE)
    XII : 80.2 (CBSE)
    B Tech : NIT Jalandhar (Computer Science and Engineering) 8.00/10
    Work Ex : IT Services
    TCS ( pre sales, Education domain) Current (3.5 years so far)
    CSC (Insurance Domain) 4 years
    GMAT : 720

I have applied in IIM L IPMX and ISB. I am selected in IIM L and waiting for ISB call.
    My queries :
    a) I have always thought that US Education is very costly and so never planned about it. But after going through your website I believe I can get good scholarship if I apply in early round. What do you suggest ? Should I wait for a year and apply in early round.?
    Please suggest the top schools which I can target ?
    b) Also, should I wait for applying to IIM B and IIM C next year ?
    c) If no then If I get admission this year then I have two queries:
    i) 4-5 Years down the line can I plan for a full time MBA from top 10 of the world? Will it be a feasible option.I know this may sound a immature question but I have always dreamt of a education from a top B school.
    ii) I want to get into a innovative role after MBA where I am part of building strategy and taking key decisions. I am doing my research and I believe management consulting as a challenging and interesting role.Please suggest what should I do to get that role from my 1 year MBA.

Looking forward for a positive response.

Thanks And Regards
    Munish Arora

54. Abhijeet says:

I am 29 years old (thought, by heart 25 lol) in reality.

I am amazed to see how you reply to so many posts from variety of people, and that’s why I am hopeful to get clear guidance from you.

My Educational Profile:
    10th = 82 %
    12th = 88 %
    B.Tech (Mech) = 56% (4 years aggregate)
    I have done Distance ‘Executive MBA’ from MITSDE,Pune = 75% for 1 years but all in vain as I am doing same job as I was and not getting any calls on basis of this.

Work Experience:6+
    Present Company: 3.8 years as a Senior Test Engineer in Mechanical Software development company
    Past Company: 2.7 Years as a Piping Engineer in EPC company in Oil and Gas field

My current package when I am writing this post is CTC 7 LPA.
    I want to Give GMAT and Apply for best B school preferably in India (ISB, 1yr IIMs Executive, Or SP Jain ) or outside India .

If you consider average salary growth by 10% and Package that I will getting after doing full time MBA,
    Which option you want to suggest me ?
    Will my Distance MBA affect my admission in B-Schools? Can I hide fact this while applying to MBA ?
    Without losing my Job, can I go for Part time Executive MBA(2.5yrs) from Symbiosis Pune?

More than what I will be getting after MBA I am interested perusing MBA from best B-School. I have plan to start my own company but I would like to work and earn first.
    Due to many reasons till date I postponed my Dream of MBA , Now I am married and settled.

Thanks & Regards,
    Abhijeet

55. rahul says:

I am 35 year old having 5.2 yr of experience in IT career.Can i go for 1 yr full time MBA program to change career path like except IT.
    For 1 yr full time MBA program GMAT or CAT preparation require.
    Or can go for direct interview by filling the form like top institute in India or aboard.

I already left my job.So it is possible for me to go for MBA or i have to get into new organization,after that i can go for MBA course.

• Oracle says:

@rahul

I believe, it will be a good start if you can explain why you want to change a career to something EXCEPT IT. You have left your IT job without a plan ahead, other than the fact that you want to leave IT. Can you justify this step to yourself?

I request you to take some time out and write about why you don’t see a career in IT? And what is the kind of career you are seeking?

At age 35, without answering these BASIC questions, an MBA is probably a waste of time. And I don’t think anyone will be in a position to advise you anything without knowing answers to these questions.

I look forward to your response.

56. Pavan says:

I’m 32 and currently into ITIL/SDLC release management. My career started with call center for a year before I decided to switch to software “before it is too late”, my first job being support/development for 3+ yrs and as luck had it had to move into ITIL/release management. However does not seem a bad decision and in the role have gained a fair knowledge on the domain I work -SWIFT, intl trade, etc so want to make a career related to domain analysis. My friend suggested a course in business analysis while my senior suggested MBA, can you let me know if MBA will help in my case.

57. Shekhar says:

I have 4.5 years of work exp in banking sector . I have At present i am 29 and would be turning 30 in june 15.I am looking forward for executive mba in india

58. Satish says:

Dear Sameer,

Good info on the site, I am BE and PMP certified professional with 20+ yrs exp in IT and have been a faculty as well for project management (@ PMI chapter). I know of many universities who have liked my teaching style and want me to be part of their regular team but I dont have a MBA and it is a pre req for universities. My question is: Is a executive MBA (1 yr) online be sufficient, or do I need to do a 2 yr online course. It is more of a statuatory req than knowledge for me, pl. help. I also intent to take UGC NET exam later…

59. Locutus001 says:

Dear Sameer,

I’m a soon to be 28 years old medical student from Germany.
    I will finish my studies this year and will probably start my working life next year in february.

Do you think that after 2-3 years of work (or maybe after completing my training as medical specialist = 5-6 years) I can apply or a MBA program and possibly change the direction of my professional life?
    I’m not explicity aiming for a position in health care afterwards (maybe during MBA studies something else might suit me better… who knows), but I think that being a MD isn’t the worst CV that you can have.

Please share your thought with my about a possible change of career.

Best regards

60. pgaspirant17 says:

My age is 32 years and I have a work experience of around 8 years in the field of analytics and consulting. Currently I am working as a senior consultant in the analytics division of a top management consulting company. I wish to move into management consulting area after getting an MBA. For this I am targeting ISB and the PGPX from IIMs. Can you please guide me on how feasible is it for a person with my background in analytics to move into management consulting if I get into these B schools ( assuming GMAT and mba acads are pretty good)? Will 8+ years considered a major disadvantage or roadbloack? Please note analytics is an integral part of management consulting where I have worked along with strategy consultants and VPs.

61. Dushyant says:

My age is 36 and I have work ex of 12 years (8 years in banking and financial services(front and mid level, majorly sales), and the last 4 years I have been managing my own business). However I feel the need to get back to the corporate world as things arent working out in the entrepreneurial venture. I hold a Masters in Management(2002) from a tier2/3 management institute, which was completed immediately after graduation. Do you think a one year EMBA or a two year MBA can help me get back into the job market.
    My interests are: Investment banking/Management Consulting.
    As a second option I contemplate a career in academics/research, is this a viable option considering my current age ?

Thanking you in Advance.

62. GOPAL says:

Sir
    I am 30 years old and having 5 year experience .
    My academic profile is 10th- 84.26% , 12th- 54% , Diploma in E&TC Engg- 77% , BTech- 66%(7.3 CGPA )
    Now my package is 7.4L CTC. I want to do regular MBA ,but i am confused ,bcz if age and my academic profile will become barrier during placement time and how much salary i will get.

Kindly clear my doubts
    GOPAL

63. mckymini says:

I’m 37 years old I have 14 years of IT experience in both USA /India and settled abroad. I’m a very aaverage student and passed 10,12th,engg with Avg marks, all my employer they love my profile because it pretty consistent 50 to 55% no high o, no low spike’s.
    So i know my limits and trait i did searched for any TOP league’s . I’m practical and I do not run for fast or fat growth either.

During my visit to India, I happened to meet one of my Engg classmate and he is enjoying successful career , we were just sharing our thoughts and old memories . I was asking his success mantra and advises , I liked his attitude and Quote – Mama 40 yrs May full time MBA karkay kaya hukaday gaa.

He said world is going online, MBA is Particle not a principle unlike science. That inspired me lot.
    I found WESchool and took admission in 2014 batch . every day what ever I learn , I apply and I see the result.

Moral of the story is do not waste energy , there is lot of other things in this world ..enjoy the world and life is very short and do not run for fast growth, you might miss few nice scenic .

64. amit kumar says:

dear sir,
    I am 35 years old engineer working with PSU. I want to do full time mba from b school. Is this a good step for me.???

65. Shankar says:

Dear Sameer,
    I am 39 years old and is working has as a faculty member (Biology dept) in a college for six years. Do I have any chances for shifting to marketing once i complete a full time MBA? Also, which are the places where I have better chances of getting selected.

66. Saif Siddiqui says:

I am interested to pursuing 1 year MBA program -Canada ( specifically) from next year. However, i will 35 by the time join the univeristy (in case). My concern is whether the univerisities will accept me my profile for full time 1 year program. I am currently based in Dubai .

What are the other options available for me in case i do not get any offer from universities in canada.

My profile is as below:

1. B.Tech ( Electronics) 68%- 2005

2. 12th – CBSE – 85 %

3. 10th CBSE – 83 %

SAP Finance techno functional consultant involved in SAP project management and implementation ( from 2005- 2011)

Shifted my career from SAP project management to IT risk management due to lack of opportunities . Last 4 years working in Internal Audit as Audit Specialist and looking after Project risk management ,SAP internal controls review etc.

Your kind thoughts and advice will be highly appreciated.

67. D.LIYAKATH ALI KHAN says:

Sir,
    Iam 48 years of age and I am working as Account Manager in Automotive section.My qualification is B.Com and 14 years of exeperience in Accounting. I wwould like to do MBA Finance to improve my Career and better Job in India and Abroad. Please suggest us.

68. ASHWIN1981 says:

hi
    i am 33 years old ,b.tech in electronics.8+ years of experience in public sector bank.i have been offered admission in IIM Calcutta.Is it awkward at this age to join mba.confused.
    plz help.

regards

69. Gaurav says:

I am a 31 yr old working as GM Operations in a Chartered Aviation Company based in India.I am a Mechanical Engineer(2006) and did engineering job in Auto Sector.After getting an opportunity to change into Operations while working in automobile sector, I changed from core technical to Operations management after 1 yr.,so never thought of getting a separate degree of MBA.Afterwards

I shifted from automobile to aviation in year 2009 and also completed my Commercial Pilot course from US (2011 – 2012).Now it is 2015 and although I have scaled up in my position (presently General Manager) but I don’t feel satisfied with my current position.Presently,I am strongly thinking of doing MBA (probably in Aviation Management or Operations Management) to get a middle/top management position

Being a pilot,engineer as well as a management personnel I can easily understand the intricacies of an aviation business but somehow lack of a MBA degree has pulled me back from many golden opportunities.I am planning to take GMAT by Sept/Oct.

My profile is as below:

B.Tech – 72.5%

XII – 78%

X – 74%

It would be wonderful if you can give me your thoughts and advice and possible list of MBA colleges which I shall target.Do you have any information I can get on the colleges/programs which provide scholarship/internship while studying?

Thanks and regards
    Gaurav

70. Prem says:

Hi sameer,

I read many feedback on the site. Thanks.

Whether there are possibilities for me to Pursue MBA in USA from Good schools ?

I am 34 now. Doing M-tech and having 15 years of work Experience. I have my Diploma in Mechanical engineering(2000) then B.S. in Engineering and technology(2015).

I aspire to be an Full time MBA and succeed in career.

Can you guide and give your inputs how to proceed.

Thanks.
    Prem

71. shashikant v says:

I shashikant vishwakarma and wanna known that my dad can continue his studies ??? He is 47 year old. And he wants to continue his study after 12 standard.

72. amlan sinha says:

Hi sameer, i am 31 now and graduate in humanities with journalism skills. i am working as education cum health journalist in leading English daily newspaper for last 7 years and now i want to do 2 year full MBA program in IIMs. i this decision is good or not? please help me

73. HIMANSHU says:

Dear Samir,

I have post Diploma Engineering experience of 6 years from 2009 & completed my B.E in 2012. Hence Post Degree experience is 3 years. Actually I am 29 years Old & preparing for CAT exam 2015. What do you suggest about Part Time MBA or EMBA or Full Time MBA for me? Another question is like about placement. If I am studying in Top 20 B school in Full Time.Should I worry about placement at this age ?

74. Shyam says:

I am 31 now, a civil engineer with few additional certifications and professional memberships.

Location: Middle East Asia

Work Experience: 10 years of work experience in the field of Contracts and Procurement in Construction Industry. I have experience working as Contractor, Consultant and Client’s Representative handling many mega projects costing multi million dollars.

MBA was always in my mind but lost focus when I started focusing completion of on time bound projects. Now, I wish to take a break and do full time MBA.

I haven’t given GMAT yet. At This age, will TOP B Schools consider me as a prospective student?

Most importantly will it be worth taking a break now?

shyam

75. Ash says:

I have total 9.7 years of experience in IT Software Development and in purely technical background. But due to monotonous nature of job I am bored and dont see any shift or change of gear in Career and see some kind of stagnancy. Could you please suggest me if it will be worth do go for any post graduation at this stage of life?

I always wished to do MBA but due to certain other responsibilities I couldnt pay much attention.

Ash

76. Rakesh says:

Sir;

I am 40 years old & doing a certificate program called “senior management program” from India’s top rated B school. This program is for people with 10 years of working experience & carries the same subjects as of MBA
    After completion of this I plan to do 2 years executive MBA which is a part time MBA from another B School.
    I plan to do this in order to get a good jump in my carrier from the existing co. to another company. Kindly suggest

77. Tathagata says:

Hello Sameer

Myself Tathagata from Kolkata. Age 33. Work ex: 5 years and 6 months. jobless for past 1.5 years
    Did my engineering in 2005. Did my MBA from NMIMS, Mumbai in 2008
    Joined Titan in 2008 worked there till 2013
    Joined Bajaj in 2013 worked there for 7 months
    Have given GMAT in July…score 650
    any chance of getting a decent B School which can help me re-establish myself in career with a good job and opportunity ?
    Or will I get discarded for the gap in my career ? Please suggest

78. Vandana says:

Hello,

I am a 28 year old and I completed my MSW (Masters in Social Work) in 2010 with an aim to get into HR, but nothing worked out and meanwhile an opportunity in the writing/media sector came up. I took it up and now I have 1.5 years experience in the media and am currently working with a publishing house. However given the current state of publishing houses right now I am worried that my career is not going anywhere. I am aware that my bad decisions have ruined my career path.

Is there a chance that an executive MBA in India/abroad can help me salvage my career? Get back to HR? Please guide me ! Coz I am worried that even if I complete my MBA, there is a chance I might not get placed due to my inconsistent career changes in the past.

Vandana

79. Narendra says:

All of you are pretty worried about your carrier and security. Lots of endless questions to be answered. I feel that all of you who are here have great abilities in themselves. Best way is to believe in yourselves ,MBA or something like that is only a formality to find out new ways or to accelerate your existence. The real mantra in core of MBA is Mann, Buddhi aur Aatma which will always lead you towards success, prosperity and peace by whatever you do and where ever you go. My dear friends I bless all of you to remain happy always to live life kingsize with your near and dear ones without taking any pain in small span of time in Life.