Must read for MBAs: Business Doctors
You'll never see businesses in the same way. Click here.

Executive MBA vs MBA for Executives – The Big Indian Confusion

Written by Sameer Kamat

Best MBA BookIn India, mention ‘Executive MBA’ to an MBA aspirant and ask him how it differs from an ‘MBA for executives’. The odds are high that you’ll end up confusing your friend. And not without reason. Several popular post-graduate management courses offered by our IIM clan (Indian Institutes of Management) have the word executive in them.

So, we’ve got IIMA PGPX (Post Graduate Programme for Executives at IIM Ahmedabad), EPGP (Executive PGP in Management) offered by IIM Bangalore and IIM Indore, PGPex (Executive PGP at IIM Calcutta and IIM Shillong), IPMX (International Programme in Management for Executives) by IIM Lucknow and several others.

If you have already read Beyond the MBA Hype (if you haven’t, get a copy ASAP), these are the programs you are targetting along with many others abroad. But these courses, in the technical sense, are not the same as an Executive MBA.

The terms ‘MBA’ and ‘Executive MBA’ might be clear to folks outside India. But back home, the concept of an MBA aimed at experienced professionals (or ‘executives’) is relatively new. In this post, we try to address the difference between the traditional Indian MBA, the traditional executive MBA and the not so traditional new-kid-on-the-block – the MBA for executives in India.

Executive MBA: Getting to the root of the confusion

MBA programs come in various formats. In addition to the full-time MBA, there’s also the part-time MBA, executive MBA, dual MBA, distance learning MBA and so on. MBA applicants often get confused about these myriad options.

Historically, the general approach in India for those interested in getting an advanced management education is to aim for one of the conventional 2-year MBA programs immediately after graduation. The IIMs and the other MBA institutions, where candidates get in through their CAT scores, accept students right after their basic graduation.

So when a new breed of management courses made an entry in the Indian market and started insisting on several years of work experience, folks started equating them to executive MBA programs. However, even after all these years, the perception doesn’t seem to have changed much. Many applicants who approach us for help with the application for the Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) at ISB Hyderabad (or the ISB Mohali campus) refer to it as an executive MBA. It is not!

The same is the case with IIMA PGPX, IIMB EPGP and IIMC PGPEX. These are one year programs targeted at professionals with experience (executives), but they’re full-time MBA programs and not executive MBA programs.

Applying to such programs in India is similar to other comparable programs offered by other top international business schools. Among other pre-requisites, they all require a GMAT score and some work experience.

Experience criteria for an international MBA program:

For applying to a two-year full-time MBA program from the U.S., a minimum of three year work experience is usually recommended. This way a candidate would be in a position to come up with a competitive application.

The candidate, having spent few years in professional environment, would now be able to relate to various concepts being taught in B school.

Many candidates would also have chalked out a definite post-MBA career goal for themselves. In the UK, full-time MBA is usually one year in duration (with exceptions that offer longer and shorter MBA programs as well) and the experience of the candidates applying also tends to be slightly greater in comparison to the MBA programs from the U.S.

So what’s an Executive MBA then?

To clarify the concept of an executive MBA, we’ll highlight a few aspects of an executive MBA program and how it tends to differ from a regular MBA program.

Unlock the section below with your social media account to understand the differences.

Keep the above points in mind so you don’t mix up terminologies.

Each program has its pros and cons and something which may work perfectly well for one may not work for the other. So candidates need to do the required groundwork as to what their post-EMBA aspirations are and how the program would assist in taking it forward.

Students & Alumni from the best 1 year MBA programs in India

Many current students at the top 1 year MBA programs in India and alumni are getting frustrated explaining to folks around them that they are associated with highly selective, well-respected and mainstream MBA programs that accept GMAT scores instead of CAT.

If you fall in that category, we’d request you please share this blog post on your official / personal blogs, bschool website and social media pages.

Let’s create more awareness and respect for this new breed of programs that is getting recognition outside India (through international MBA rankings) but ironically many Indian employers, students and colleagues are still confused about.

Next Steps: Develop an action plan

The BIG question you need to address now is whether a full-time MBA makes sense considering your profile and career plans or if there are cheaper, easier and less risky options to explore.

Step 1: Introspect – Start off by reading Beyond The MBA Hype. Caution: If you have a flawed view of what an MBA can do for you, the book could be your wake-up call. But better to get the shocks right now & get the expectations in order, rather than when you are midway into the program, right?

Step 2: Execute – We have helped hundreds of candidates like you tackle this challenge. Check out our MBA MAP and Career MAP packages & see if either might be worth taking up.

MODERATOR EDIT: Please post your queries on our GMAT & MBA forum and NOT on this thread.

New here? See what you missed from the Big Daddy list of >> MBA, GMAT & Career Articles

About Sameer Kamat

Founder of MBA Crystal Ball | Author of Beyond The MBA Hype & Business Doctors Connect with me on Google+ | Twitter @mba_cb | Facebook

1. Arun   |  Thursday, 04 October 2012 at 7:23 pm

This is an article that will helpfully answer the query that many Indians have. Well written!

2. Amit ganguly   |  Friday, 05 October 2012 at 6:48 am

The points mentioned in the ‘Executive MBA’section certainly clarifies the confusion. Seems there is a thin line of difference in the acceptance criteria between MBA and Executive MBA courses in India.Probably, this has lead to the confusion.

3. Aashish   |  Friday, 05 October 2012 at 11:20 am

Nice :)

4. Rahul   |  Saturday, 27 October 2012 at 10:06 pm

Hi Sameeer!

I have around 12 years of experience and currently working as a Senior Business Systems Consultant with a top ife insurance and asset management company in Canada. I am exploring the possiblity of doing an Executive MBA from Rotman or Ivey. Given the high cost (appox. $90,000 CAD) do you think it would we worth pursuing or would you recommend a part time MBA?

Would also like to know what’s the scope of these international Executive MBA programs in India?

5. Sameer Kamat   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 4:06 am

Rahul,

You haven’t shared your expectations from the program. Is it knowledge, a career-change, growth within the current company, better salaries, international mobility, the network or the opportunity to interact with classmates from different industries?

The answer would vary accordingly.

6. Rahul   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 2:16 pm

Sameer,

My expectations from the program are knowledge, growth within the current company or outsid, better salary and networking. I am not looking for a career change.

I should mention that my biggest concern is the scope of the program in India as I want to settle down in the home country in five to seven years.

7. Sameer Kamat   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 3:28 pm

Rahul bhai,

For those aspects, yes, it would be worthwhile looking at the Executive MBA option.

Don’t bet on the degree being too much of a help back in India. There are too many guys with full-time degrees from international bschools (even the top 10) who are returning to India. And executive search firms are facing a tough time placing them.

8. Rahul   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 4:39 pm

So how about doing an Executive MBA from an Indian b-school like ISB PGPMAX? Would that be a better option in terms of settling in India?

9. Sameer Kamat   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 5:47 pm

Rahul, if you aren’t planning to come back to India in the next 5-7 years, how does the PGPMAX option fit into your plans?

While we wait to hear about that, here’s the story in general when it comes to management education in India.

Whenever someone in the Indian corporate world refers to an MBA degree, they are most probably referring to the regular CAT based 2-year MBA degrees offered by the IIMs and other Indian MBA courses.

In comparison, GMAT based full-tme MBA degrees have made their entry only recently.

Apart from the regular campus recruiters on the ISB, and IIM campuses, most corporates still haven’t figured out what this ‘new’ concept is all about.

Forget employers, many MBA applicants are confused about this concept too. And by naming them as MBA for executives, MBA colleges aren’t making life any simpler for the other confused souls.

That’s precisely what prompted us to write this post about the difference between an Executive MBA and a regular GMAT based MBA.

Now, if that’s the story with full-time GMAT based MBA courses, imagine how much clarity might be there in the corporate world about the other ‘derivative versions’ such as the Executive MBA.

Coming back to your main query, the response is pretty much the same that I shared earlier. If it’s about the knowledge, network, vertical growth (to some extent), then the Executive MBA makes perfect sense.

Anything else that you might get from the degree would be an added bonus, but don’t hold your breath for a miracle to happen.

Hopefully that allows you to weight the pros and cons of taking up an Executive MBA degree.

10. Rahul   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 7:05 pm

Smaeer,

First of all thank you for the prompt replies.

I am planning to stay here for a number of reasons and MBA is one of them. Executive or otherwise. ISB came to mind because of the reason that I mentioned earlier, I want to settle down in India if ISB is more acceptable in the Indian corporate world then I would focus on that and give up my plans to continue here.

Although to my surprise ISB is not charging any less than what I will end up paying in Canada for an Executive MBA.

Regarding the regular MBA, that is not something that I am looking at as I don’t want to leave my job for an year or two.

So i guess my dilemma continues…

11. Rahul   |  Sunday, 28 October 2012 at 7:06 pm

Sorry Sameer, for some reason I have been spelling your name incorrectly. My sincere apologies for that. Nothing intentional. Please correct the typos.

12. Kapil   |  Thursday, 08 November 2012 at 4:47 pm

I completed my B.Tech in IT from NIT in the year 2008. Currently working for Cisco systems as software developer. Have a total experience of 4+ years in the field.
    I want to pursue 2year MBA full time from India or abroad. I am planning to take CAT 2013. So is my experience too much for a regular 2 year full time course from top institutes in India (Till then 5+ years) ?
    Or shall I take GMAT and apply abroad. Is my profile weak for the schools abroad ? I will summarize my profile as follows :
    1. 10th (CBSE) : 83.9%
    2. 12th (CBSE) : 73.0%
    3. B.Tech (IT NIT) : 84.4%
    4. work ex: 4 years (Cisco Systems + Motorola).
    5. 1 international IEEE paper.
    Not very active in extra curricular activities.
    I am in a fix if I will get a good B.School with a good score in GMAT because of my weak profile.
    Please help me out.

13. Dhiren   |  Thursday, 08 November 2012 at 7:15 pm

Dear Sameer,

Finally someone in the media gets the story right! Thanks for clarifying this for all. Very well written too!
    - Alumni, One Year Full Time MBA – EPGP at IIM Indore

14. Raj   |  Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 5:39 am

dear Sameer,

awesome post and very helpful to us – the alumni of the one year full time mba in india. Finally sets the story right!

15. Gagan   |  Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 5:59 am

I would also like to share that the One Year Full Time MBA has been leading on rankings for quite some time now. for example in the most prestigious rankings worldwide – the Financial Times London ranking of MBA’s the IIM A One Year full Time MBA (PGPX) is ranked at number 11 in the world alongside two year full time MBA for experienced candidates (harvard, stanford) and One year full time MBA for experienced candidates (insead, HEC paris, Oxford). The two year MBA from India at IIM A or any other school is not ranked in the list of MBA’s as it is not considered an MBA abroad, which is strictly a post experience programme. The IIM A 2 year MBA is ranked in a separate ranking called Masters in Management (not equivalent to an MBA). This list does not have the schools offering an MBA like harvard, wharton etc.

16. Shrikanth   |  Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 4:15 pm

Can you please advise how good an online EMBA would be (e.g. [edited out by moderator]). My expectations from the program are similar to those of Rahul – knowledge, growth within the current company or outside, better salary and networking. I am not looking for a career change. I am in IT. After working for a decade abroad I returned to India a few years back. I find myself ‘stuck’ in technical roles though I aspire for more business and managerial content.

thanks & regards,
    Shrikanth

17. Shrikanth   |  Wednesday, 14 November 2012 at 1:31 am

Wanted to provide more details about myself – I am a CA & CWA by qualification. After working as a Financial Analyst / Management Accountant for several years I switched to IT (ERP). In IT I have been working mostly as an individual contributor in a variety of technical and functional roles. I am looking to supplement / update / upgrade my skills as explained earlier.

Look forward to your feedback!

Shrikanth

18. Sameer Kamat   |  Friday, 16 November 2012 at 8:18 pm

@Kapil: We are providing profile evaluations on our forum. You might want to check it out. But if I were to provide some quick inputs – Yes, it might be a little too late for you to start thinking about 2 year MBA programs in India. Most Indian applicants have your profile. So it’s not weak, but it’s too common.

@Srikanth: From what you’ve described, you are looking for a career (i.e. role) change. That might be a tough one to achieve without a regular, full-time MBA.

@Gagan: Thanks for sharing the additonal information.

@Dhiren and @Raj: Glad you liked the post. If you are interested in sharing more about the IIM Indore 1 year MBA program, drop me an email (you’ll find the ID in the right navigation panel)

19. Aarun   |  Thursday, 22 November 2012 at 6:21 am

I have read the above post and also have been through your blog site as well. I must congratulate you for that effort first,

The reason of my email today is to seek an opinion/ guidance with regards to pursuing an exec MBA from good B Schools in India.

My background

CA and CPA (Australia) with 11 years of work exp (6 years in Australia and 5 years in India)

Had migrnated to Australia in 2006 and am coming back to settle in India in two weeks.

I always wanted to do MBA … but ended up doing CA anyways that’s different story.

Question:- Can you guide me in regards to the process / eligibility and preparation required to do an exec MBA,
    My reason for doing MBA :- 1) Better career oppurtunity 2) Geeting into Sr Managerial category with MBA creating the pathway 3) Career progression

Please advice,
    Aarun

20. Sameer Kamat   |  Friday, 23 November 2012 at 9:56 am

Aarun,

The process and eligibility criteria are quite similar to full-time MBA programs. Most of the good Executive MBA programs (assuming we aren’t mixing up terminologies and formats here) ask for a competitive test score, essays, recos and an interview.

The first two reasons you’ve listed might be tough if you are planning to change employers.

21. Dev   |  Sunday, 09 December 2012 at 8:26 am

You missed One year full time MBA of IIM Lucknow that is IPMX.
    May be you would like to update your list.

22. dhiren   |  Tuesday, 11 December 2012 at 1:07 pm

For that matter even the EPGP at IIM Indore is missing. Would be great of you could update the list.

23. Sameer Kamat   |  Tuesday, 11 December 2012 at 1:36 pm

@Dev and Dhiren: Thanks for chipping in. The intention behind this post was not to have a comprehensive listing of ALL the 1 year MBA programs in India. It was essentially to highlight the difference between formats.

Parantu aapke bhavnaon ko samajhte hue, I’ve added IPMX to the list (incidentally the IIM Lucknow website itself calls this an Executive MBA). EPGP at IIM Indore was already there.

In fact, we have a bigger post to take this story forward by an IIM Indore alumnus who’s also been trying like hell to change the perception of the hard-earned degree that he and his ilk have slogged for.

So rather than just listing down names of 1 year MBA programs in India, a better approach would be to offer a peek into these programs. So if you know anyone who’d like to write a guest post for us about programs that we haven’t covered as separate blog posts yet, ask them to contact us.

[Edit: The bigger post that I had referred to earlier has found a bigger home and a bigger audience. Written by IIM Indore EPGP grad Shikhar Mohan, you'll find the article on Business Standard here --> Don't mistake it for an Executive MBA]

24. Gaurav Tare   |  Sunday, 16 December 2012 at 12:53 pm

Dear Sameer,
    Above discussion is refer to EMBA & MBA, i want ask something about part time MBA. I am working with an automobile company as a Purchase in Dubai with having Exp of 3 year plus. i got an admission to one of top Indian institute for PGDBM, Course is of 3 years. For this i have energy & willing to learn approach too to complete this PGDBM but since it is a part time have some below query, i required your guidance regarding this.
    1.If I do Part time 3 years PGDBM from reputed top 5 MBA institute will help me to get job in India, as after completing this course , i will left my Dubai job & i am planning to move to India permanently & since it is part time so no campus placement.
    2. If i did full time MBA course in india but got admission To institute like Pumba or welingkar or other B or B+ or college ranking after top 20 then is it better to do part time from premier institute like IIM or xlri.
    3. As certificate will be of Indian institute but classes attending from Dubai so that kind of reputation it will be consider in India or not.
    4. After doing this PGDBM is it possible to switch to marketing area.
    I hope you understand my scenario , waiting for your valuable feedback.

25. Dhiren   |  Monday, 17 December 2012 at 8:59 am

Dear Mr.Tare,

the above article does concern exactly what your are looking to pursue – an EMBA which as Sameer’s article explains is a part time mba not a one year mba which is actually a regular full time mba in a shorter duration.

26. Prashant   |  Monday, 17 December 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for the insightful information you provided above, and in your blog too!
    I too am looking for your opinion with regards to pursuing a 1 year MBA from good B Schools in India.

Here is my background:

IITB-BTech (materials), Princeton-PhD, 4.5 years in US as a scientist in technology licensing company primarily on tech and process development.

Thinking of moving back to India but not so easy for a scientist with non-IT background.

I am inclined to pursue a 1 year MBA program from a good B school in India, focusing primarily on technology and operational management and consulting, with an intention of either being able to get a mid-senior managerial level position in engineering companies or consulting companies.

Is there something I am missing in assuming that I will be able to get to the target that I have put up for myself?

Please advice,
    Thanks a lot,
    Prashant

27. Sameer Kamat   |  Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 6:29 am

@Dhiren: In all fairness, the Executive MBA and Part-time MBA programs (with more regular evening classes) are also two distinct programs with inherent differences (more confusion?). But we’ll save that discusion for another day.

@Gaurav: Unlike a regular full-time MBA, all part-time variations (like an Executive MBA, Part-time MBA, Correspondence MBA, Or one of those new videoconferencing based Distance Learning programs) are all meant for folks who already have jobs. If they were able to achieve the same objectives as a full time MBA, nobody would take the risk of leaving their current jobs, stop their salaries and spend a fortune on their degrees.

So again, be cautious about what you are getting into and what you are expecting from it. If you are hoping for a career change, geography change or anything that’s stretching the scope of the degree, chances are high that you might be disappointed.

@Prashant: IITB + Princeton PhD! Nice work, buddy.

The tech licensing work also has more prospects in the US than in India.

So yeah, seems like you’ve put yourself into a completely different league now and our desi companies wouldn’t know what to do with someone with your profile.

Unless you tell them how you can be a real asset to their team.

>> Do companies look for exactly matching pre-MBA job profiles when they hire after MBAs?

Not necessarily. But having a bigger overlap makes it easy to sell your story. Many MBA grads manage a career change – some more dramatic than the others. But you need to demonstrate tangible and proven skills that your new employer can use and not just the theory picked up in an MBA class.

Btw, I’m keen to know why you are considering an Indian MBA. After a dhinchak Ivy League qualification, wouldn’t another generic but global degree be more beneficial?

28. Prashant   |  Tuesday, 18 December 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, Sameer.

I am keeping the option of a global degree open also. My reasons for inclining more towards Indian institutions are:
    Unlike Indian, the global institutes don’t provide as much help in getting placement, so one has to make a jump again coming to India from outside.
    To make up for what I invest in a global degree, I may have to work outside of the US for at least a few years, before again looking for prospects in India.
    Not sure how much a degree from a global institute will be recognized in India.

I am completely unaware of the changes after a generic global degree, to be a part of the Alumni Network and all. So I can only hypothesize.

You have that kind of experience. What is your opinion?
    I copied the term ‘generic’ global degree, but am not exactly sure of the full meaning.

Prashant

29. Ankur Gautam   |  Tuesday, 01 January 2013 at 5:09 am

A very happy new year to you..
    My brother is currently working in a top notch IT company for around 7 years. Now he wants to pursue Executive-MBA and is thinking about EPGP-EG from IIM Indore. I am also pursuing full time MBA, but I am not sure about the prospects of this program.
    Given that this program has started last year by GOI, Can you please tell me how useful an Executive PGP in e-Governance would be?
    My brother expects to move to a managerial position in an IT company after pursuing this program which is not possible in current scenario.

30. Sameer Kamat   |  Thursday, 03 January 2013 at 9:46 am

@Prashant: By ‘generic’ I referring to a location neutral brand that would allow you the flexibility of working anywhere in the world. As a general rule of thumb, many top global brands are recognised in India, but many Indian brands don’t command the same brand recall globally.

@Ankur: What saar…you have ‘flushed water on my doings’ (the hindi version sounds so much better ‘Kiye karaye par paani fer diya’). I spent a whole blog post trying to highlight the difference. Aisa zulm naa karo hum par, janaab :-(

EPGP-EG is not an Executive MBA. As the website explains, it is a ‘intensive one-year residential programme’.

Alright, nomenclature related confusion aside, I’m personally not comfortable joining any program that might have a good brand name backing it, but there’s no track record yet. If I’m leaving my job to pursue a full-time course, I need some more assurance of what I’d be getting at the end of it.

But that’s just the over-conservative me. If your brother sees value in it, ask him to do more research on the pros and cons of attending a new program and then take a call.

31. Prasad   |  Thursday, 03 January 2013 at 11:57 am

Happy New Year 2013.
    I am a Mechanical Engineer, working in Oil & Gas sector from last 8 years. I have a total work ex of almost 9.5 years. I am planning to do an MBA for career change (as oil & gas sector in India stagnates at one level) and better salary. Please advise me whether i should go for 1 Year or 2 year MBA and from where. i.e. what options to consider.

32. kareena   |  Thursday, 03 January 2013 at 1:36 pm

Happy new year!

I have about 8 years of work ex in Market research (Marketing & BD) and have worked in 5 different companies (about 2 years in each company), no big brand names. My acads are not too good, 65% in 10th, 85% in 12th and 58% in bachelors. I work currently as a Marketing Manager. I don’t know if i can even afford to think of an MBA from some top notch institute. I don’t know if an IIM or some big institute would even consider my profile for an executive MBA. Is there any age limit for applying to these courses?. Please help.

33. Manjeet   |  Friday, 04 January 2013 at 12:21 pm

Wishing you a very happy new year. I have few queries related to executive MBA.

I have toatl 9 yr of experience in IT industry . i am looking for better position/role in same company or outside. Obviously skill upgradation is first criteria. Please suggest which course is more beneficial.

I heard courses organized by NIIt imperia also, so much it’s beneficial. There are few programs like “certificate in Software development and management”, “Advance program in strategy management from IIM calcutta.

Please advice.

34. Sameer Kamat   |  Friday, 04 January 2013 at 1:12 pm

Happy New year to all my beautiful peeples here!

Smart and good-looking you already are. Hope the association with MBA Crystal Ball can make you richer too in the coming years.

@Prasad: For your profile, you’d be an outlier for most 2 years programs. 1 year MBA in india or abroad might be a better fit. But it’ll depend on your pre-MBA profile and your specific post-MBA goals.

For instance, if your skills and target industry have no potential in Asia, then no point in looking at schools like ISB, NUS, HKUST etc. And vice versa.

When you are ready to start the application process, take up the MBA MAP Profile evaluation and application strategy development package. It’ll give you more clarity and a solid gameplan to proceed.

@ Kareena: There are no formal age limits, but you will face an uphill battle if you choose the wrong schools. Read this related post for some more perspectives on the age aspects –> MBA after 30: Am I too old for a full-time bschool degree?.

As far as funding is concerned, again it comes down to choosing the right schools. The top schools will be out of reach even if you can crack their tough application process. But if you can get a strong GMAT score and put in good applications to the decent (but not very competitive bschools), you could get an admit and scholarships to lighten the financial load. Another related post –> MBA Scholarships for Indian students.

@ Manjeet: I’m not familiar with the NIIT course you are referring to. But I do know someone who recently completed the IIM Calcutta distance learning course. He found the new theory and fundes useful. Will he’ll be able to use it to negotiate a better designation or a fatter salary?

He might. But more because his skills are in a niche industry and he’s a shrewd negotiator, so there’s not much competition. But I doubt that the added qualification will play a big role in the process.

35. arun   |  Friday, 04 January 2013 at 7:17 pm

hi sameer sir,

i’m doing my btech(IT) and is in final year. I am very much interested in doing mba bcoz i would like to change my tech job at some point . I am confused if i should directly go for full 2 year mba program after btech or should apply for mba after some experience in the industry. And if so what kind of course would be helpful and will mba at later stage will really help me change my field?

36. Mayur   |  Monday, 07 January 2013 at 1:18 pm

My case is somewhat similar to Kareena, the profile goes like this:

Exp: Brand Management / Marketing Communications – 6 Yrs, I started as MT in one of the TATA Group Company, switched 3 companies, currently working with 2nd largest telecom operator in India where I am handling marketing communications portfolio for one of the largest telecom circles in India. So out & out exp in Telecom only.

Acads not good: 10th: 55%, 12th: 55%, Graduation Bsc – Comp Sc : 55%, (so a hatrick of 55% ‘s plus I am already an MBA (FT) from 2nd rung B-School, the exp I was counting was gained after my MBA (FT)).

Since I couldn’t score (due to whatever reasons) in CAT I settled for a 2nd rung institute which incidentally / surprisingly helped me secure a decent job with Tata’s initially, but now I want to 1yr MBA from top institutes from India, top 3 reasons being 1. Knowledge 2. Carrer change 3. Higher salary.

Which colleges are the best bets, if I score good in GMAT will they consider my profile ???

37. kareena   |  Monday, 07 January 2013 at 3:02 pm

Thanks indeed for your advice. Well, one of the other questions that i missed asking in my previous post was about the acads. My scores are not too good, 65% in 10th, 85% in 12th and 58% in bachelors. Will this score be considered while applying for an MBA. also, could you please suggest some bschools that i could look for? Thanks in advance

38. Vishal   |  Wednesday, 09 January 2013 at 1:07 pm

First of all, wishing you a very very happy new year.

I am planning to purspue EPGP at IIMB. I have almost 15 years experience in Automobile industry (Marketing – customer care). My main goal is to secure a non travelling high salary job in IT or Automobiles industry. I am also looking at adding communication skill and leadership qualities in me through this MBA program. Also, for any further growth (as i am at Senior Manager level currently) would need an MBA or would be an added advantage. I felt that EPGP or PGPX would suit my requirement.

What is your advise? Is it a good move to leave job for an year and pusue MBA at IIM (using GMAT and courses like EPGP or PGPX)? What options I can look at in terms of placement post these programs? and is there any other better way to accelerate my career or move field like IT (say move to a company like cognizant or say SAP or say Google)?

Pl guide as that would be of immense help to decide my b schools and other program options.
    Thank you in advance.
    Thanks.

Vishal.

39. RAHUL   |  Thursday, 17 January 2013 at 5:13 pm

I am working in an IT firm since past 2 yrs (which is my total exp.) , I just wanna change my industry will the EMBA help me in doing so if no then which MBA can do , & if so is there any chances of getting placements from the institute.
    Thanks in Advance

40. Sandip Sharma   |  Friday, 18 January 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi Puys
    I am an MCA passout from a good institute and having the 4.8 yrs of IT exp as software engineer.My age is now 29 yrs.I want to switch to some managerial role not technical. I dont like to do coding an all.I cant see what will I want to be in next 4-5 yrs with my current job. I cannot see any growth in IT industry if I dont like coding.
    Sometimes I think better I prepare for IT jobs in Govt. But dont know what be the growth and how I will survive in Govt job with little salary and only with job security and ‘peace’ wala 9 to 5 job..

I want to do full time 2 yrs MBA from IIM or IIT.
    My profile is very bad also..
    10th 55% wb board,
    12th 54% wb board,
    Bsc IT 75.27 % SMU and
    MCA 6.9 CGPA from NIT.

I want to know that If i score good in CAT 2013 can I able to make it to any good IIM/IIT/FMS with this profile.I am really not worried about placement and I Can manage of my own.Just want to work next 30 yrs in a profile where I can able make some sense as now not making any sense in coding.MBA is the only way which help me to switch to managerial role or if u have any other option plz guide me.

AND also I heard about IIT DELHI ,IIT KGP 3 years part time MBA ,weekdays classes 6.30 to 9.30 , 4 days a week.
    I want to know that while staying in the my current job and pursuing part time MBA from any IIT ,will help me to advance my career not in my company but if after completion of course if I APPLY for other companies….or still it consider a 2 grade MBA degree…

I really need your help ..

41. Siddhartha   |  Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 8:59 pm

It is nicely put up information, above. I really felt good reading them. For the past few days, I am thinking of perusing an executive MBA. In this context, if you provide your valuable feedback, it will be really helpful.

I am a B.Tech (Computer Sc and Eng), having 8.2 years of experience in the field of software engineering. I have worked in one of the leading Indian IT Service Company for 5 years. I am currently working in one of world’s leading electronics manufacturing company for different software development projects. My current designation is ‘Technical Manager’. My age is 33 and I am married and also have a kid.
    All my experience is related different kinds of applications development for embedded devices, mobile phones, tablets etc. And I enjoy working with these technologies.
    I have started my career as a project engineer, then eventually I moved to senior software engineer, lead engineer and currently I am a technical manager, when I am leading multiple small teams for different software development projects.

My expectation from future course of my career is as follows:
    1. I do want to continue my career in the companies, who are involved in Software and Technology.
    2. I clearly do not want to switch my career completely (e.g. from my current field of software to Banking or Finance etc).
    3. I do want to climb the ladder of success. I dream to become a delivery manager, general manager or higher.

Having the current experience and expectation, is executive MBA good choice for me? Will M.Tech/ME be better in my scenario?

Siddhartha

42. Sameer Kamat   |  Sunday, 20 January 2013 at 6:39 am

@Arun: I’m an advocate of going for an MBA only after you have some work-ex. And sure, an MBA at a later stage can help you change your field if you have a logical story to go with it.

@Mayur: When you say, ‘My case is somewhat similar to Kareena’, do you mean to say Saif has tattoo-ed your name on his other arm?
    The top options that offer a 1 year MBA in India (already listed in the main post above) should be good options to consider. They’ll consider your profile if you have a good GMAT score and a strong rationale for considering a second MBA from India (most prefer going abroad).

@Kareena: 10th and 12th standard marks aren’t relevant, unless you had a big accomplishment that you’d like to highlight (like a merit list ranking). The bachelors degree would be important. Not having a first class could be a hurdle for the top schools. For the query about selecting business schools and the admissions strategy, you could consider our MBA MAP.

@vishal: The only GMAT based 1 year MBA in India where you won’t stick out (due to the higher work experience) is PGPX. Laaving a job is always risky. So don’t assume a top MBA will make it easy to manage the transition.

@Rahul: I suspect you are mixing up the terms here. For an Executive MBA (going by the true definition), your experience level is too less. Read the main post to see what I mean.

@Sandip: Copy paste of your Pagalguy post (Oxford dictionary will have Puys soon)? I also see that you’ve sent an email with the exact same content. If you’d have spent some time checking out our site, you’d realise that we don’t focus on CAT based MBA programs at all.

Which prompts me to assume this has been sent out to many more teams without first finding out if they qualified enough to give you advice.
    With all the confusion that you are probably going through, I understand your need to get a comforting answer. But I should also urge you to be careful with such an approach. With all the opinions you get (from teams who’d want to get you signed-up ASAP), you might be more confused later than you are now.

@Siddhartha: An MTech at this stage may not help. Changing either your industry or role or country IS a career change. So a full-time MBA might help more than an Executive MBA.

43. Zoravar Singh   |  Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 10:06 am

This was indeed one of the best articles on MBA programs that I’ve read.
    I am relatively inexperienced as compared to some of the other readers.

I aim to develop a set of entrepreneurial skills in order to start a business of my own in a foreseeable future.

Will a MBA program be beneficial for the same? If yes, then what kind? Also, from India or abroad?
    I shall be grateful to you if you could suggest me some choices to look at as I am unable to find a person with similar credentials and aim as me.

My basic credentials are:

1. Chartered Accountant (cleared in July 2011)
    2. B.Com (h) (2009)- 66% (Delhi University- Sri Venkateswara College)
    3. Class 12th (2006)- 92% (Commerce- Delhi Public School, Vasant Kunj)
    4. Class 10th (2004)- 85%
    5. Age: 23

Work experience:
    1. Nov 2012 – current- Partner at Surjeet Associates
    2. July 2011 – Oct 2012- Senior Executive at BSR & Co. (member firm of KPMG)
    3. Mar 2009 – July 2011- Articled assistant at BSR & Co. (member firm of KPMG)

Also, please let me know if I should be aiming at increasing my work experience before going for a good MBA program. And, whether that work experience has to be necessarily from a big firm like KPMG only?

Thanking you in anticipation of your response.

44. Deepak   |  Friday, 25 January 2013 at 7:00 am

I am 27 yrs old, a graduate from B.SC, working as Team Leader – Dell Software Support India (B P O) for past 7 years now… I have already started preparing for CAT Exam for Full Time MBA, I am ready to leave the job. I am worried as by the time i compete MBA – i would be already 30 years… What do you recommend ? waiting for reply. thanks.

45. namika   |  Saturday, 26 January 2013 at 11:44 am

I’m 2 years experienced in IT field.Am confused as to, opt for an executive MBA or go for a regular one.
    The reason behind my confusion is,theres a notion that executive MBA is much better in a scenario when you have enough experience as in 5 yrs and above,although many premiere institutes do provide you with executive mba with an experience of 1-2 years.But am not able to decide if it would be beneficiary!
    Also,please let me know whats the scope of executive MBA as in job market,would I be able to switch from my current technical field to management level,as easily as people who complete their regular MBA?
    Awaiting your reply!

46. danthri   |  Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 10:58 am

I have 3 years experience as a systems engineer in BHEL.
    Now looking for an MBA degree ( distance / corres ) .
    Kindly suggest me a suitable course.
    Will Executive MBA work for me.
    I am not looking for a job change though but for a PG which would assist me in further promotions.

47. Himanshu   |  Thursday, 31 January 2013 at 6:48 am

Hii Sameer

Could you please share your view about one year part time GMPE from IIML , i am shortlisted
    but not confirmed about its career impact .. will it gives me a revenue hike or its just for knowledge …
    I wants to upgrade career growth rate .. salary/designation/etc..
    i have done BE/ME and i do have around 6 years of experience in industry and academics …

i am really looking forward to you

Many thanks

48. Awadhesh   |  Monday, 04 February 2013 at 10:25 am

I am working in a software company in software development side and it has been only a couple of months.I want to switch to managerial side in near future after having 2-3 yr work experience.I have completed B.E. in Electronics and communication engineering.Please guide me what are the MBA options for me and how can I prepare for them from now itself.Also give the prospects of Distance MBA.

Waiting for your response…

49. Kaustubh   |  Wednesday, 06 February 2013 at 7:13 am

Hello,

This is Kaustubh working as a Lead engineer in one of good MNC company in Oil and gas automation sector.I want to change my profile to get some management role in FMCG, Oil and Gas , any other techno oriented sector hence want to pursue an Executive MBA program, Similarly i am looking at it as Lucrative scope as well.

I have total 7 years of experience which covers end to end project management cycles where hi involvement of customer relationship involved.
    In lay terms , i am engineering graduate looking for better management role.

I have already completed MBA in Operations management, MBA in Finance and International business from some good institutes in india but in distance learning mode. I dont think so these will assign me any opportunity in management role. Hence looking for fulltime programs with one year duration.

I am a family member hence can spare only one year towards it, hence kindly request you, how should i got further to get good management roles in challenging organization.

Does Executive MBA program of duration of one year having placement opportunities, so that i can get some opportunity to garnish in Management role.

Kindly clarify as this will avoid my lot of confusions and bring more clarity hence further.

Kaustubh

50. Sameer Kamat   |  Wednesday, 06 February 2013 at 12:55 pm

@Zoravar: This is an off-topic query for this post, bro. You may want to check these articles Best Entrepreneurship MBA Programs in the top business schools and Best Entrepreneurship MBA Resouces and successful alumni startups

@Deepak: It would be too late for CAT based MBA programs. Think about GMAT options.

@Namika: None of the top schools with accept 2 yrs experience for an Executive MBA. Like many others who have commented here, I think you are mixing up the terminology. I’ve started wondering how many folks are actually reading the main blog post. Sigh!

@dantri: I don’t any of the 3 options would really put you on a strong footing for a promotion, though an Executive MBA might be the closest. A full-time program is the best.

@Himanshu: Conservatively, I’d say it’ll be primarily for the sake of knowledge. You might be expecting too much if you include salary / designation etc.

@Awadesh: I’m not familiar with the quality of distance learning programs. After 2-3 years you can look at any of the full-time GMAT programs offere by any of the bschools listed in this bschool ranking list.

@Kaustubh: You can surely consider 1 year full time GMAT based programs. There are many in Europe, Asia, Canada. And again let me clarify, these are NOT Executive MBA programs as you’ve referred to them.

51. Sameer Kamat   |  Wednesday, 06 February 2013 at 1:08 pm

This post has just crossed 50 comments and though I’m thrilled to see the amount of interaction happening out here, I’m also juuuuust a little disappointed that the basic message of the post isn’t coming across.

Or maybe in the enthusiasm to get queries addressed, folks don’t have the patience to read the main post. Many are still incorrectly referring to GMAT MBA programs as an ‘Executive MBA’.

If I hear the incorrect reference a few more times, there’s a high probability that I’ll start referring to GMAT based programs as Executive MBA too. [melancholy music playing in the background to highlight how sad that would be]

The other trend is that many of the queries here are deviating from the topic of the post. Instead it’s turning into a general profile evaluation (which we do on our forum in our free MBA profile evaluation thread).

So in order to stop confusing the new readers who are landing on this post, we will not be accepting any further questions on this post.

We’d be happy to continue the dialogue if you can head over to our GMAT & MBA forum and post on the relevant thread. Looking forward to your co-operation, peepals.

- – - – PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY MORE COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD – - – -

52. Prabal   |  Monday, 11 February 2013 at 9:35 am

I am 2008 passout and currently woking with Deloitte in SAP. This is my 4th company and now i am looking for 1 year MBA rather than 2 year full programme or Executive MBA. My academics are average. I am into technical side and want to change into finance side.Please suggest me how should i approach/strategy towards preparation and is 1 year programme a right choice??? Also which are the best institutes to target to be on the top notch in the industry.

Also if you have any other suggestion please suggest me.

53. Swapnil   |  Saturday, 16 February 2013 at 6:22 am

Hi sameer
    I have completed my electrical engineering in 2008 and since then i am working as an senior engineer.I have an average academics.I have given cat2012 and have a score of 83 percentile.I am in to the core feild of electrical engineering since last 4.5 years.So i just want to ask whether should i go for regular mba(2 years) or an executive mba(1 year) and which colleges to apply?I am 25 year old.

54. Anurag   |  Monday, 18 February 2013 at 12:06 pm

I am having 8.5+ yrs of exp in telecom domain. I am thinking to change my domain by completing executive MBA. My field is core technical in telecom.
    Kindly help to know from where i can complete my 1 yrs MBA so that it can help me to develop myself & increasing my carrier options.

55. satish   |  Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 12:07 pm

I completed BTech with the stream of ECE. I have a 3 years of exp in banking products software development(java/j2ee/oracle). I am very interested to improve my carrier to words Banking products related International business. So what is the correct way to achieve the goal?please clarify it.?Please help me.?

56. Mala   |  Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 8:27 am

I’ve completed my B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering in 2008 and have 4+ work ex in a renowned power & energy company. Could you please suggest me what course should I take up: Executive MBA (1yr full time) or MBA (2 yr full time)?
    I’ve planned to appear for CAT, XAT & GMAT.

57. sandip sharma   |  Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hi Sameer ,
    As You have noticed that I have asked the same question with many people or forum , You can see how I desperately looking for the answer. Also I have bought your book from flipkart and read it…It really help me with some questions. Mainly the last column appendix D Query list and the introspection part .

It is not like that I know the answer of my query and asking all the candidates( like different forum) to choose the right option. I am asking for the suggestions here. And yes you are right I AM CONFUSED here. At the age of 29 wanting to do an MBA while having a decent job and wanna quit it to MBA . Mainly concerned about how i will able to make it as in India majority of the people who do MBA in India elite institute are below 27 yr age. I have only one thing in my mind to give the best shot to CAT that is the only thing I do , rest are not my hand.

Also I know that you are not discussing about the CAT here. I generally asked the question because I dont have such a group circle here at office or at home to discuss these things. It may also that whatever the suggestion you will give me I like all or few of them. My main aim here to make the informed decision.

58. Prashant   |  Sunday, 03 March 2013 at 1:17 pm

hi sameer,
    I have been working in Oil & Gas sector ( ONGC in particular ) for last 4 years @ Mumbai offshore as a Drilling Fluid Engineer. I have only field work experience.
    I want to continue in energy sector as a management executive, i do not want to continue in field .So i am planing to pursue MBA ( Full time or Executive ).
    Would you please suggest me which MBA programme will be suitable for me, full-time or executive?

59. Jignesh   |  Monday, 04 March 2013 at 4:58 am

Thanks for clarifying the Exec MBA vs Post Graduate Programs for execs!
    I have been working in a reputed IT company in India for around 10+ years now and am planning for executive MBA, while working for my current firm (I cannot take a break due to some financial reasons). My overall objective is honing skills, learning from peers, take senior positions within org, salary raise, etc. if possible, could you let me know the institutions who offer such a program. Or would you suggest a full time ex-MBA program? Thanks for your advise ~Jignesh

60. Anuj Parashar   |  Tuesday, 05 March 2013 at 3:55 am

hi Sameer,
    You have not discussed about PGPEX VLM course of IIMC. I would like you to bring in some discussion or article on that. It would be of great help.

61. Poornima   |  Wednesday, 06 March 2013 at 4:32 pm

I am an engineering graduate (2006 passed out) and have been working in IT companies for 6+ years. I could not do my MBA due to family reasons so far. But I have always been an elite student thru all the years and i strongly believe my traits and capabilities can serve a better career in a different level. Can you please suggest me how i can approach towards MBA. I want to see myself working in a position that requires leadership qualities and makes difference. I have been inspired by Higher level of delivery managers / vertical leaders. But they all seem to have an MBA in their earlier years of education and career. Kindly suggest the MBA option that would help me to live my vision. Thanks a lot!

62. aryan   |  Wednesday, 06 March 2013 at 5:23 pm

Pls suggest on MBA programme suitable for me :-
    a) 1 year residential program by IIM ( till now ,i have not appeared for GMAT exam)
    b) Others ( pls advise)

Below is my profile :-
    a) B.tech -textile technology 2002 passed out
    b) Working in apparel retail industry
    c) Total work experience :- 11 years
    d) Current salary :- 18 lakhs per annum
    e) Current age :-33 years
    f) Marital Status :- Married

Reasons :-
    a) To get rid of stagnant career .
    b) To start business in food/hotel industry.

My expectations from MBA:-
    a) Entrepreneurship in food/hotel industry at the age of 38 yrs
    b) Salary increase ( to pay the loan for MBA course of 22-25 lakhs upon course completion and to save further for business )
    c) Building contacts with IIM alumni , which will help me to start the business.
    d) secured future.

Pls suggest .
    It would be great help, if you can help in preparing the complete career path .

Thanks a lot.
    aryan

63. Sameer Kamat   |  Wednesday, 06 March 2013 at 5:59 pm

Dear peepals, please see my last response. We will not be responding to new comments on this page. So please do not post further queries here.

64. bijay   |  Monday, 11 March 2013 at 1:30 pm

hi sammer
    I am a graduate student in science (passed2004)and have 6+ work ex in a renowned multi national company. Could you please suggest me what course should I take up: Executive MBA (1yr full time) or MBA (2 yr full time)?

my career percentage is 60% and i am not planning to leave the job sp plz suggest me what to do?

plz suggest me the univesity name also.

65. Sanjay   |  Tuesday, 19 March 2013 at 2:52 am

Hope this finds you in best of spirits.

My question is coming from the eternal confusion of most of the guys, should I go for MBA or not?

Just to give a brief background on my profile. I am B.Tech Computer Graduate and have got around 9 years of experience in Software Quality Department. I am currently working as a Team Lead in one of the Software Testing consulting firm in Australia. Basically, I am an Australian Resident and have got about 3 years experience in Australia and to be honest the salary for me out here is substantial.

However, I have a plan of returning back to India in next 4 years and this actually is the trigger point for me. The thing that haunts me is that the Software Testing is not marked as a specialised field and does not hold any value or to be honest potray much scope of a growth. Also, I have always been driven from the business aspect rather than the operational stuff which is another reason through out my career I have been thinking of droping out of a job and picking up my MBA degree.

But going for a full-time 1year MBA from IIM-A or ISB against my current placed situation of a team lead with good salary package (even in terms of Australian standards). Is it a worth taking a step towards MBA.

To be honest there are factor that might come from role change if I do MBA, but if I talk in terms of real term of post-mba salary is it a worth doing. Or if I say directly, how much is an average salary post-mba.

Second thing is if I do my MBA from University of Queensland which allows me not to leave my job and get me the degree with the same amunt of investment. but big question is it going to be of any value back in India.

It would be great if you can help me get some clarifications to my thought process.

Cheers
    Sanjay

66. Abishek   |  Wednesday, 20 March 2013 at 9:26 am

I am a guy with an Engineering background and working for German MNC in India in the field of core electrical engineering from the past 6 years. Career growth in my field seems to be very sluggish and to rise towards the managerial positions, i am planning to go for the Full Time 15 month National Management Programme from MDI (Management Development Institute). Though the programme has been successfully running in India from the past 25 years (the oldest in India), but it does not have too much fan following in market.

When i tried to explore the reasons for same, it came out that the programme was earlier attended by sponsored candidates from Government and private organizations but now due to market demand, they have opened it for self sponsored students from the past 6 batches. The institute also offers a regular 2 year MBA programme and does have sufficient alumni base in the market.

My question is that will such a programme help me in achieving my objective of rising in similar industry (not same profile of course) and may be moving towards energy consulting?. Secondly, does the small batch size (around 40 students but all with minimum 5 years of experience) be a deterrant in peer learning and networking? How much do these factors weigh while taking a final call on going for a Full Time MBA programme?

I hope you can provide me a better insight and whether this programme can help me achieve my objectives.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Abishek

67. Harsh   |  Wednesday, 20 March 2013 at 3:00 pm

I have 22 years of experience , now working as a branch manager for medium size company, i am stagnated , and thinking of taking help of these established names for one year executive programme from IIMC, IIML etc, promoted by Hughes/NIIT imperia.
    Will these courses help enhance my prospects for job change or are there any other similar effective/beneficial part time / e learning / executive learning programmes. any other option pl suggest.
    Will appreciate your inputs.

tks

68. Vidya   |  Saturday, 23 March 2013 at 2:53 pm

That was a good article.. I’m having a total work experience of 7 yrs now…Graduated in B.Com.. Cleared CA Intermediate..I’m presently working for Treasury, Finance. I want to do executive MBA part time in Finance for enriching my knowledge in the Finance field & also for growth prospects in my current company. Can you suggest me a suitable executive MBA program in b-schools and the eligilibilty / selection criteria?

Vidya

69. Mahadev   |  Thursday, 28 March 2013 at 1:31 am

I’m now 45 yrs old and having total experience of 22 yrs out of which I possess 17 yrs industrial experience. I’m working as business head in a MNC JV. I’m planning to do EPBM-iimc or SMP -iimc or egmp-iimb. Due to time constraint, I can’t pursue full time EMBA program. My main intention of doing this program is to gain knowledge on core subjects, peer group interactions, IIM brand which help me to strengthen my resume in my future career. I’m hearing so much negative about these program’s. I’m a bit confused. Pl. let me know your views.

Alternatively there is one more course which suits to my back ground is senior mgt program offered by iimc and iiml. Pl. suggest which program would be more useful in terms of my above said aspirations.

Mahadev

70. Arindam Chakraborty   |  Thursday, 28 March 2013 at 12:25 pm

I am having a plan and I want to cross validate with you since you are quite experienced in this arena. I am having 7 years of IT experience, always with CMMI Level 5 companies. I plan to give GMAT for pursuing the 1 year MBA. The reason being : Leaping the career up with promotion and fat salary. I have target for IIM, ISB (considering the fact I crack GMAT with good score and get into them). My domain is Insurance. Am I on the right track?

If yes, can you tell me what is the prospect (or career opportunity aka salary package) after passing the 1 year MBA from the above top colleges? Is it less or same as 2 year CAT MBA? Is it really worthy if I go for it?

71. Sandeep   |  Wednesday, 03 April 2013 at 12:04 pm

I am a software professional with 6 years of experience. I’m looking to further my knowledge and hone my skills in my pursuit to get into the area of management (with a bigger pay packet of course :D)Consequently, I’m planning to pursue an Executive MBA, not a full time (1year or 2year) MBA as I can’t afford to take a hiatus from active work. The intent is to be able to foray into the world of management at the entry level with sufficient all round knowledge that I can leverage and build on, at the same time. Could you please suggest a list of programs/universities that I could look to? Any advise in particular about the quality of learning in these programs is greatly appreciated.

Sandeep

72. Arch   |  Friday, 05 April 2013 at 12:00 pm

I have the following profile:
    BE(Comps) – 69 odd percent but top 10% of class
    MBA (top 15 Indian Bskool) – academic awards received here (Specialization: IT + Supply Chain)
    Many scholarships/ academic accolades received thru-out
    Workex:
    2 years quality development experience prior to my MBA in an MNC
    and 2 years after in a Managerial role in IT in a Manufacturing company (currently working there)
    Extra currics:
    I would rate 6/10 and have significant prizes in some events as well as have handled leadership roles in college and B-school.
    However I do not have significant ‘social’ efforts/ experience (something I have the heart to do but have only done through monetary donations so far)
    I wish to do a General MBA form a top B-school in the coming years WITHOUT expending too much time and hope to start a new venture OR join a top consulting firm.
    What in your opinion is the path I should take AND reasons for the same?
    Option 1) Accelerated 1-year MBA from (the best-fit) top 20 B-schools in Europe/ USA – “for executives”
    Option 2) Executive MBA from American/ Europe Top 15 B-schools
    Option 3) Distance MBA from American/ Europe Top 15 B-schools
    Option 4) [would like to avoid] an ISB – Hyderabad MBA
    As you can gather, I am not too keen on an Indian degree and I also would not want to stay off of full time work for more than a year/year and a half.

Awaiting your suggestions/ response.
    Arch.

73. Amit   |  Thursday, 25 April 2013 at 5:12 pm

Dear All ,

Can anybody tell me about GMP of XLRI ?

74. Sachin Kumar   |  Monday, 29 April 2013 at 5:39 am

Hi ,

I have done BE (E&T) & working in Network operations (Technical) since 10 years. I am looking to do EMBA (admission though GMAT). I want to change my current field (telecom) & want to switch career into different field. I do not like technical work profile. Can you guide me, is it possible to switch career through EMBA ?

Sachin Rawat

75. Sumeet   |  Friday, 10 May 2013 at 11:51 am

This is Sumeet here and i am having few queries regarding MBA. Currently i am doing B.Com from DU(School of Open learning) and i am doing a job also as a HR Executive(in CMM Level 5 company) in recruitment from past 2.5 years and this year i am going to complete my graduation and now i am planning to do MBA. So, shall i go with Executive MBA or full time MBA; which one is better for career prospectus. And will this 2.5 years exp. will be helpful for me in MBA. Executive MBA and MBA is equvalient.

Sumeet

76. Kiran   |  Friday, 17 May 2013 at 11:47 am

Hi Sameer!
    I want to do an MBA program from some Indian Institute only as a distance education.Currently, i am working in a utility (energy) company). The details of the profile so far i have is like;
    1. 10 years of experience
    2. Basic qualification as Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
    Can you please suggest me how should i proceed?
    Kiran

77. Farhan   |  Monday, 20 May 2013 at 4:13 am

I am farhan, I am having 8 yrs of experience in ERP(peoplesoft) and currently working for UNITED NATIONS in new york. I would like to pursue 1 yr executive MBA from india .unfortuntaley my marks in 10th and +2 is in 50′s although scored better in graduation and in masters(70%). is it going to be difficult to crack IIM’s ? how marks play part in admission?
    Itban

78. anubhav   |  Tuesday, 21 May 2013 at 12:12 pm

Dear Mr. Sameer,
    Could you please give an options to select from PGPEX-Vlm ( full time residential ) , PGPMX ( IIM Indore alternate weekend two year programme) and PGEMP ( SP jain , 21 months modular executive management programme) : Are both equivalent to executive MBA ? which is better rated .

regards
    anubhav

79. Sahil   |  Wednesday, 22 May 2013 at 12:33 pm

I am planning to do EMBA from SIBM(Symbiosis Institute of Business Management).
    I am just confused regarding whether i should do EMBA or should i go for Distance course. I am already working and have around 3 years of Experience in the field of Financial Service. Also, when asked they said they are not giving any specialisation in any of the field.

Can you please guide me on how to proceed further.

Sahil

80. Lokesh   |  Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 1:08 pm

Pls suggest on MBA programme suitable for me :-

Below is my profile :-
    a) BE in electronics and communication,
    Score- 72.88%
    - 10 th – 84.4%, 12th-84.6,
    - CAT 2012- 81 percentile
    -good in sports, music- played university level cricket and kho kho and good basketball player
    Good singer and I play guitar too.

b) Working in software company
    c) Total work experience :- 1 yr 4 month
    d) Current salary :- 3.5 lakhs per annum
    e) Current age :- 25
    f) Marital Status :- engaged, I will get married in march 2014

Reasons and expectation:
    a) Not happy with current job and salary .
    b)In future I want to implement my creative biz ideas.
    c)want to live my dreams.
    d) would be good if I do my MBA with some earning.

So plz suggest me some plan to do MBA..thank you

81. Rajesh   |  Wednesday, 05 June 2013 at 6:45 am

He He He… People just don’t read. Even after it is clearly told that there won’t be any responses, people just keep posting their questions!

82. Sameer Kamat   |  Wednesday, 05 June 2013 at 6:58 am

@Rajesh: You have just boosted my morale by showing that there are some folks who still read the details before posting. Thank you!

For the others, once again a (feeble-voiced) request to read what’s written earlier.

83. Mukesh   |  Thursday, 06 June 2013 at 10:31 am

Mum univ at their kalina campus has Garware institute of career development which imparts PG courses for MBA. They are 1 or 2 yr full time programs. You have any update on how the same are?

84. Anmol Awadhwal   |  Friday, 07 June 2013 at 2:40 pm

I am Anmol Awadhwal working in Canon India since from past 3 years. total exp is about 15 years. Looking ahead to do the Exec MBA for the purpose of vertical growth in the same organization. My current base location is Pune. Please suggest me from where i should do this….?

Thanks & Regards

Anmol Awadhwal

85. Varsha   |  Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 6:25 am

I have been working in the IT industry from 2011. I will be completing my 3yrs by Feb,2014. I am interested in doing an Exec – MBA(Full-Time) as I want a switch from all the coding thing going around and also a good hike in the salary is expected. I would be grateful if you could share your views on this and suggest some good institutes in india to pursue my MBA.

I also considered the ICICI – NIIT University MBA Programme.

Share your views.

86. Nita   |  Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 2:27 pm

I have a total work experience in IT of 5 years 10 months. Worked on Finance and HR domain. Was a developer all the 5+ years and now would like to have a transition from development to HR field. I have just started with an executive MBA from NMIMS( Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies – India),will this help me in getting a transition,growth and better career opportunities. Does this degree have a value in the market?

Nita

87. MAHESH GOEL   |  Sunday, 07 July 2013 at 10:23 am

I am Dy GM and CFO in state bank of India, with 26 years of experience, my age is 50+, want to do MBA for executives, the purpose is to to get a change in new PSBs and to get a fat salary, will it be helpful and where from to do it.

Best Rgds.
    Mahesh

88. Nirmal   |  Monday, 08 July 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hi. I am a B.Com graduate. I am planning to do Executive MBA. Are there any well known university or institute offering distance Executive MBA? I didn’t get any information about distance Executive MBA on Google. Could you let me know if there are any? In case if there are no institutes then I would go for distance MBA with Operations specialization. Your comments please. Thanks

89. Kunal   |  Sunday, 21 July 2013 at 9:43 am

HI,

Really need some help right now.

Here is a brief intro about my background :

4 Years Diploma in Industrial Electronics (1 Year Internship) – 2000-2004
    3 Year Bachelors in Electronics and Telecommunication – 2004-2007.

2007-2010- June – Worked as RF CTL/PM (started as Graduate Trainee Engineer) – Telecommunication
    2010-2011′Jan – Proprietor – Family Business – Timber Merchant
    2011-2012 ‘Nov – Worked as a Project Manager – Commercial Diving Industry – System Design and
    Project Delivery
    2012′Nov – Till Date – Project Manager/Account Manager for a Tech firm that provides customized RFID based solutions. (Growing Industry). The company is a start up and is doing really good and has an amazing future considering the technology it is dealing with and the one-of-a-kind solution that we have delivered successfully in one of the industrial markets.

2007 – Start Sal 1.8Lacs/ Annum.
    Current Sal 12Lacs/Annum.

I would really like to know if at this stage i should take a full time MBA from US which is ranked in 60-70′s but is giving me a scholarship (50%), the remaining funds would be loaned from a bank – Approximately $32000, or go for an E-MBA course. My Job is promising but pretty demanding in terms of time and effort.

The objective is to get some international exposure, expand my skill set, networking base and help me take up more cross functional roles if possible.

I already have the MBA seat in my hand, have booked the tickets also but something is still bothering me. Something which i am not able to figure out. I have invested too much time , money and efforts in getting this seat. Is this the right time to turn back or take the leap?

Would be glad if you could give your feedback at the earliest.

Kunal.

90. Vijay   |  Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 9:05 am

Sameer,
    Lovely Post that clarifies the Basic doubts . Sammer would youof any Exec MBA offering here in Bangalore which are focused on entrepreneurship

91. Dipenkar   |  Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 11:38 am

Sameer,

I am a qualified chartered accountant and a company secretary as well as a CFA Level 2 Candidate, worked in the finance role for around 3 years now.I am not exactly looking for a profile change, as finance would be predominantly my strong point.I however need to know if the evening executive programmes offered by some major B-Schools like FMS and MDI will help chalk something better out in my career path.I say this because i worked for one of the Big Four for around 2 years and thereafter been working in finance/support role for a PE firm in Delhi.I do not see much scope of the current role in North India as the industry is predominant in Mumbai.I have the base in Delhi and I feel maybe an executive MBA would help finding better alternatives here.Can you please guide.

92. ritankar   |  Friday, 23 August 2013 at 6:42 am

I have completed my MBA from ICFAI Business School back in 2002 and post that have close to 10 years of experience in Marketing & Business Development.

Primary experience has been in Marketing in companies across different sectors like Retailing, Consumer durables,liquor and presently in Business development in Paints industry.Have worked across North/South and East India during different tenures. Working presently as Business Development Manager (mid level management) at present

I am looking at a course which will help me :

1) Getting an impetus to get senior management roles by proper understanding of the new management concepts (I did MBA almost 10 years back and 10 years from now it would be redundant !!)

2) Getting international mobility (considering I have a non IT background do you think its possible ?)

3) Trying for GMAT but dont think the scores will be that high may be mid 600 level

Would be great to hear from you

regards
    ritankar

93. R Singh   |  Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 6:46 am

Hi Sameer.

Thanks for explaining things regarding executive MBA and MBA for executives. I was planning for MBA, but confused which course should I choose.

Currently I am pursuing BBA through online learning. For MBA course, should I go for same online learning or for regular class room based programs.

I want to work as a CEO of some good organization after 5 years from now on. If I need to go for traditional MBA course, Which university or college will be best as per my dream profile.

94. Distance MBA   |  Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 5:41 am

As far as distance learning MBA is concerned, it frees you of the obligations demanded by a regular course. In fact, distance learning MBA lets you continue your work and study at the same time.

95. Gayathri   |  Tuesday, 08 October 2013 at 7:57 am

I am planning to do MBA.
    I have 3 years of IT experience(telecom) and i am a MCA graduate.
    Is there any good suggestion for a 1 years course in IIM-Bangalore?
    Please Suggest me.
    Thanks in advance

regards,
    Gayathri

96. Puneet   |  Wednesday, 09 October 2013 at 2:49 pm

I am working as Sr. Oracle Database Administrator and looking for career in IT operations and Business development. I have around 6.5 years of experience in IT industry.

Please suggest which MBA will be beneficial for me for career growth.

Waiting for your reply.

Best Regards,
    Puneet

97. Nurul   |  Sunday, 13 October 2013 at 5:32 am

Hi, Sameer ,

I have completed my MBA from Banglore university back in yr 2002 and have close to 10 years of experience in Marketing & Business Development. in Oil and Gas Industry.

Is there any good suggestion for any course in IIM-Bangalore?
    for career growth .

98. Sowmya   |  Sunday, 20 October 2013 at 3:26 pm

I do want to do executive MBA. my only doubt is it mandatory to be in the job to get into executive MBA during that time. I have 8+ years of experience right now and planning to do it when i will be of 12+ years experience. but mostly will be taking a break during the course. Is there a full time executive mba or even if it is partime can i take it if not in job.

99. Sans   |  Friday, 15 November 2013 at 8:29 am

I would like to know whether EMBA is a postgraduate degree and also would like to know if you could pursue higher education using EMBA like Mphil or Phd etc that requires a postgraduate degree as its qualification.

100. Saurabh   |  Friday, 15 November 2013 at 9:42 am

Dear Sameer,

I have 9 years work Ex in IT industry and have recently acquired a 600+ score in GMAT.
    I will try again. but I do not have 50% in my Graduation.
    IIMs who also offers 1 Year MBA (which I am trying to fit into), require a Grad score of 50%.
    This is disheartening. Shall I quit?

101. Nikhil   |  Thursday, 21 November 2013 at 4:25 pm

Hi ,
    please suggest me , as i am working with a software company as a developer with 3+ year of experience on ECommerce Domain.
    and i want to do some management course for moving my carrier in management.
    what course should i do.
    as i am planning to do Emba in systems from any good college from bangalore or mba from SYMBOIS Pune(corrospondence).
    Please suggest me.

Thanks.

102. vishal   |  Saturday, 21 December 2013 at 5:40 pm

Respected Sir/Madam, Can you guide me whether 1)Executive MBA -16 moths partime from ITM Mumbai is recognized in USA as EXEC MBA 2)This EXE MBA is Certified by SOUTHERN NEW HAMSHIRE University USA in India Only.3)The USA University denies any MBACertifications in USA
    KINDLY GUIDE ME

103. Punit   |  Saturday, 28 December 2013 at 8:04 am

Hi Sameer_ I work as Manager-Administartion/Facilities, having work exp of 5 years. Just wnat to you let me know the possible outcome of doing a excecutive MBA from IIM in terms of career growth. Also i am able relate the program offered in opeartion management to my field. Can you let me know also which program i shall click to. I am really not looking for a field change.

104. SALMAN MANSOOR   |  Wednesday, 15 January 2014 at 12:16 pm

Hai,

I would like to know your views about the EPGP course offered by IIMK at its kochi Campus.

The program is for two years and consists of 900 contact hours comparable to to its PGP course. It is only inferior to the fact that it is not a full time programme like other Executive courses offered by other IIM’s but the course is for two years.

Your insights would be of great help.

Salman Mansoor

105. Rajeev   |  Wednesday, 15 January 2014 at 6:40 pm

I am working as an Software Test lead in Investment Bank. I have 10 years of exp. I am looking for further studies. Please suggest me the best course in Australia which can help me in growing further in my career. Currently my plan is to go for MBA in Finance. Can you guide me job opprtunity i can have after my studies? Should I go for executive MBA or MBA.

Rajeev

106. Paromita   |  Friday, 31 January 2014 at 7:04 am

Hi Sameer, I’m a media professional working in the creative departments of broadcast industry with 7years of experience. I want to now movie to the business side and pursue marketing. Although I have been working in close collaboration with marketing department creating promotional campaigns for them but still I would like to formally educate myself with an MBA, so that scope of work becomes wider for future and I may even want to enter the FMCG industry later.
    I also aspire to get a job abroad in UAE or canada post MBA.
    now my question is whether I should go for a 3year part time executive MBA from JBIMS or a post grad certificate for executives, 1 year program from IIM C.
    JBIMS may be a well recognized institute in India but is it worth putting in 3 years if I want a marketing job in Dubai? Or will a certificate from a recognized brand like IIM help me more there?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

107. vijay kumar   |  Wednesday, 05 February 2014 at 11:17 pm

i have done BA in 2003 and working in a reputed BPO as Team leader operations and have 7 years experience .so am i eligible for the executive MBA or PGPex program by IIMs?Would it be beneficial for me ?Do they accept BPO experience?Kindly help me out.

vijay

108. Aman   |  Sunday, 09 February 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hello ,

Thanks for posting this article and replying to all the questions.
    I am bit confused about my mba options . Here is my profile :

Highschool and Intermediate : 80 and 85 percent

Electrical engg .from U.P.T.U

working in leading IT and consulting firm from 4 years that means by next year I wil have 5 years of experience . Now I wanna to do an mba donoo which one but I have developed keen interest recently and i want to study more now .. shud go for 2 year regular one or try for 1 year …this is my dilemma I cant go outside India for family reasons , Can u suggest something ..

TIA
    Aman.

109. Dev   |  Friday, 21 February 2014 at 9:17 pm

Hello Sir,

I am looking forward to MBA in Operations. Confused between Nitie and XLRI. Nitie is quite renowned for it’s Ops, however XLRI is a better brand name, though not much aware about it’s prospects in Ops.

Would be grateful if you could please help with some pointers/suggestions. Thanks in anticipation.

110. Rajni   |  Saturday, 22 February 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hello,

My profile is
    10th-77%
    12th-84%
    Btech(Food Tech)-94%
    PGPMI(S P Jain)-80%
    Age 30yrs
    Work Exp-5.5 yrs

I have worked in insurance domain- operations ,have found your blog wherein same frustation goes with me too explaining PGPMI
    1)I want to change role
    2)Change domain

can leave job if required to go for studies

what would you advice

to go for mba or executive mba
    or what are the options in mba i should see without much time wastage in giving competitions and all
    will exe mba(full time) 15mnths help me to get my things settled.

plz suggest

Rajni

111. khalid   |  Saturday, 22 February 2014 at 7:30 pm

He

I am working as an electrical engineer with a French MNC and having 4 years of experience. Now I want to go for an executive MBA. Guys please suggest that which college should I target ???

I am thinking about these colleges…
    FMS…Executive MBA
    IIT Delhi ……MBA(EVE)
    ……or should I try GMAT for better options?
    Plz suggest…

Thanks in Advance !

Khalid

112. Ab   |  Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 9:04 pm

Hi sameer,

Firstly, many thanks for such a wonderful forum.

I have been in a dilemma for a few months and think you are the best person to help me.

The dilemma is whether to go for an mba or not.

Just to give u some background…i am working with a top investment bank in India and have ~6 years of experience. Had tried my hand at CAT but couldnt make it to the IIMs. After making it to the I Bank, my primary motive of an MBA (industry shift) was fulfilled. However, talks of mba started again (with family primarily) and i took the gmat recently and cracked it with a 740. Meanwhile, i also got promoted (unexpectedly) and now the opportunity cost of an MBA is even higher. People also tell me that now it doesnt make sense to go for an Indian MBA given that I have made it to the bank whichprimarily hires IITs and IIM graduates. The cost of an MBA abroad seems too much to me. Also, the risk involved, given the economic conditions in India and the world are not too bright is adding to my worries. I am pursuing CFA (US) so that the missing space for a postgraduate degree on my CV gets filled. However, people have also told me that its not considered to be as good as an MBA.

So, first question – do u think I must go for an MBA?

If yes, is it worth doing it from ISB (PGP) or IIM A ( PGPX)? Since i want to live in India only and do an MBA ( if I do it) from a top school only. I have heard PGPX isnt well recognized in the industry. Can u shed some light on that? Re ISB, I have a few friends who have graduated from there and they dont reallyrecommend it to me.

As you would have guessed by now, I have a lot of questions re MBA (since sometime now) and have not been able to get definite answers to them.

I would be really grateful if you could answer my queries and help me make a good long term decision for my career.

Many thanks,
    Ab

113. mukesh sharma   |  Tuesday, 18 March 2014 at 6:45 am

whether 3 yrs PGDBA(part time) equivalent to any Master Degree

114. Robin Narang   |  Saturday, 22 March 2014 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing this article with us.
    I’ll be grateful if you could help me solving a small query of mine. With respect to EMBA, you have mentioned on an average the candidates have an avg experience of 10 yrs or greater.
    Does that mean it would be better to go for EMBA only when you have that much experience in your relevant field. I agree that it depends upon individual goals. I am asking this because I wish to pursue EMBA and have around 4 yrs of experience and wish to enhance my career in terms of skills development, salary hike and gaining an international experience.Should I wait for some more time?

Appreciate your reply.

Robin

115. Sudeepta   |  Tuesday, 01 April 2014 at 9:08 am

Dear Sameer,

I am working professional in the manufacturing field with 5.5 years of work experience. I am a mechanical engineer by profession and have been associated with production development, R n D and project management in manufacturing companies. I intend to apply for PGPEX programs of IIM A,C and also to ISB for 1 year management courses. I too the GMAT exam, however my score was not upto the mark.

Would you have any advise to offer?

Thanks and regards,
    Ms. Sudeepta

116. Adil   |  Monday, 21 April 2014 at 1:51 pm

Hope you’re doing great. I’m 34 years old working with an MNC and got more than 8 years of work experience. I didn’t do MBA or any other post graduation course because I thought, whatever I had was enough for me to survive. But now it looks like I made a mistake. Now I want to do MBA or any other post graduation which will help me in coming what years I’ve got left. I’ll really appreciate if you could advise me what can I do?

Adi

117. Rupali   |  Saturday, 26 April 2014 at 8:28 pm

hey Sameer,
    I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AS AN EXECUTIVE AFTER MY B.TECH IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING.SO HOW HELPFUL IT LL BE IF I OPT FOR DOING E.MBA (OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT)

118. Jayasree   |  Thursday, 08 May 2014 at 8:20 am

I am a BE graduate with 5 years of experience in technical side. From 2013 I am wandering the countries due to my husband job nature. Please let me know , Is Executive MBA suitable for me? Is distance education has a role in career growth? Also let me know about the best universities to learn?

Thanks in advance

119. mansi   |  Monday, 26 May 2014 at 10:54 am

hi sameer sir,
    i am looking forward to pursue the niit imperia & iim callcuta executive program in financial risk n investment management course of 1 yr….please advice if its worth doing …wat are the job prospects? i have done mcom from mumbai university….and appearing for icwa finals….i have 2.5 yrs of experience….currently not working….will be looking for job after june…
    also please advise courses that would help in grabing good jobs…

120. Hemali   |  Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 5:27 am

I am an Architect (B.Arch) with 12 years of working experience. I am 2001 batch pass out from Mumbai university.
    I would like to know about the details of PGPMAX (ISB) course. I have seen information on website but I still have few queries.
    - Is there any entrance exam or interview for this. If yes then please let me know the dates for next academic year. And what is the syllabus and format for the same.
    - I saw that total fees is 30L but there any scholarship on the basis of marks etc.
    - what are the tentative dates for next batch. When the whole admission process will start.
    and finally , will it be really useful for me.

121. akanksha   |  Saturday, 31 May 2014 at 9:02 am

Dear sameer,
    I have around 8 yrs of exp as a visual merchandiser with retail Industry india and abroad, I have aready done pg in fashion retail management 9 yrs back. now I wanna divert my career by doing mba in HRM pls suggest executive mba or a normal mba what should I go for? ??

122. Anand   |  Wednesday, 04 June 2014 at 8:46 am

Dear Sameer,

I am Diploma in Electronics (10+3) holder with 25 years of experience. I would like to pursue an Executive MBA (DLP) as i am not eligible of regular MBA. The reason for this is career advancement in the same field. Am currently Business Head for the IT Infrastructure in a Kenyan firm. Kindly advice me which institute will be good. Thanks

123. Ankit Tripathi   |  Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 9:12 am

Hi Sammer,

Ankit here.Currently I am having 3 Years 8 Months of experience as a software developer in a major Indian IT services provider based out in Bangalore and haven’t got any managerial exposure.I have two queries:

1. I want to obtain an MBA degree so that I can learn fundamentals of doing business,lookout for a network of people and apply it to my own business some day,having said that I feel that I am too old for a conventional MBA programs in India(2 Years,CAT/XAT based).am I really too old for conventional MBA programs?

2..If an MBA fulfills what I expect from it, would be suitable for me,Considering I would be joining after max. 5 years of experience :

a. an Executive MBA
    b. MBA for executives
    c. Two years conventional MBA program

I want to do MBA from India and kindly suggest MBA programs offerered by top B-schools in India according two my situation.

Please help me out,I am in a big dilemma.Feeling frustrated,I have wasted too much time.

124. Vidya   |  Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 2:29 pm

I’m Bsc 2006 passed out. I ‘m 30. Have 5 yrs of experience in different sectors but got few gaps inbetween my experiences. I would like to join MBA in HR now. Can you suggest me a very good Institute in Bangalore ? Mainly want to know whether Exec MBA really works for me? I want to join at the earliest.

Please suggest soon

Thanks you..

125. Amit Rathod   |  Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 1:56 pm

Dear Sameer,

I have been working into B2C sales since past 10 years & have being an average performer, i always had a self fear that i am not comfortable selling specially if the product or services i sell are not giving great value to the end user. Because of this fear i avoided taking up responsible roles when they came to me at several occasions & now i am not getting any roles. I am still working at the ground level as an front line executive & have being still continuing my work because i need to look after my day to day family commitment. I always have a feeling that i am not the best/ above average in sales.

With such a background will executive mba help me?

I also considered career transition, did MBTI personality test (INFJ) which matches to the kind of person i am. As per the MBTI evaluation i will be successful into professions involving one-on-one interactions

I am confused, time is running out for me, i need a solution to this prolonged dilemma

Amit

126. Jeet   |  Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 4:55 pm

Hey Sameer,

All I feel is sympathy towards you brother. But I won’t blame it on ppl posting here. As you mentioned in one of your posts, good B-schools in India are naming their 1year residential courses as executive MBA which adds to confusion for all.

Thanks for trying to enlighten us though. I genuinely needed some advice from you ( I have read all your posts carefully). But I don’t think you would reply. In fact may be you are not even reading these anymore. Are you? :p wink**

127. Mohd ahmed   |  Friday, 20 June 2014 at 5:43 am

coming from a B.Sc (Cs) cleared with lot of obstacles in 2007 and working in different various organisations with excellent communication skills in English, Hindi marathi and telugu, rought hand over tally and MS office. bit knowledge of hardware and networking, and finally while working in karvy computer share pvt ltd undergone training under I.C.W.A and trained practically for a span of 3 months.

Fact : 2 Years experience in Accounts. Presently working as an accounts officer and Purchase officer.

Age : 33

Negative Point not having even Diploma in Accounting or finance certificate

Please suggest me whether i should go for EMBA in Finance or Diploma in Finance or Accounting with distance Mode.

Eagerly waiting for your response.

Because i am taking admission in July 2014 i.e., Next Month

I am unmarried

128. David   |  Wednesday, 02 July 2014 at 10:06 pm

Information Seekers….Please STOP your posting here …..none of the posts are entertained….Follow another thread please…..!! AT LEAST RESPECT THE INFO PROVIDER….!!!….Its already been mentioned twice not to post any further…!!!

129. divesh anand   |  Tuesday, 15 July 2014 at 7:12 am

Hi I have completed my 3continent BBA from Amity International Business School, Noida, after that I have been working with an MNC handling corporate sales its been 2.5 yrs since I have been working.
    I need to so my masters and I am very confused on weather to do a full time MBA or corresp. or the executive MBA would like if you could suggest me sum good collages also for it.

thanks
    Divesh Anand
    diveshanand.pergo@gmail.com

130. Ravi   |  Tuesday, 15 July 2014 at 11:36 am

Hello Sameer

I am an aspirant for MBA and had been going thru Competive exams so far someway do blunders in PI. I was intending for 2year MBA. Now since I am with a experince of 4+ years in Sourcing & Supplychain/Purchase in one of top automobile OEM of India, is now targeting for 1year fulltime MBA next year. But major hindrance what I feel will be my 12th mark which is 59.2%. 10th being 80%(ICSE) and B.Tech with 7.2 CGPA from a renowed institution(government).

Question: Do u feel my 12th mark will limit me to some top B-Schools of India even having a good score in CAT/XAT?
    Anticipating a response.
    Thanks in advance.

131. Niti   |  Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 12:16 pm

Iam a working professionanl with around 8 yrs of exp in IT web design and development. Now I am looking for a growth in management level with masters in IT, and I am confused what to choose, to get admission in any IIM college or to go for distance online degree. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

132. Kshitij Goel   |  Monday, 21 July 2014 at 9:55 am

I have 5 years of Work Experience in IT industry. I want to do EX MBA to change my industry and work profile. Please let me know will Ex. MBA help in changing the Industry.

Kshjitij

133. Narasimhan   |  Wednesday, 06 August 2014 at 10:51 am

Dear Sameer,

I am Diploma in Electronics (10+3) holder with 17 years of experience. I would like to pursue an Executive MBA in Sales & Marketing as i am not eligible of regular MBA. The main reason for this is career advancement in the same field. Am currently Business Head for the an Electronics Component / Connector Manufacturing Industry in an MNC. Kindly advice if EMBA would help me in my career growth, also let me know if I can use this EMBA certificate to continue some other higher studies in Business management cources.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Narasimhan

134. Anasuya   |  Sunday, 10 August 2014 at 1:07 pm

I am in government service for the last 5 years as Group A officer in State Civil Service (Exe). Before that I was in ICICI Bank as Asst Manager (Trade Finance) for one year.

My academic qualification is BA (Economics) from JU and Post Graduate Diploma in Banking from Manipal University.

Now I want to pursue one year MBA course and move into corporate sector. Am I suitable as the students profile suggest that an ideal candidate must have enough industrial exposure. I find most of them from engineering background and No candidates are there with a similar profile as of mine.

Therefore please help me out with your valuable suggestion as from no other source I can find an answer.

135. Akhila Nivarthi   |  Wednesday, 13 August 2014 at 4:37 am

I am Akhila working as a soft sills trainer for the past 5 years. I come from a non-training background (educational qualification). I want to pursue MBA for the following reasons:

1. Gain in-depth knowledge of Training and Development and other functions of HRM
    2. Better job prospects in the Learning and Development divisions/HR division of Corporates
    3. Better salary package

I need your advice in helping me choose the right MBA/eMBA. What is the validity of online eMBA that is available in the market now? Is it valued like an on-campus MBA? Please help.

Thank you in advance!